Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Who makes good loafers?

Chaperon

New in Town
Does anyone have any recommendations for a manufacturer of quality loafers? I define that as leather sole, well made, tough and comfy. Not too much to ask these days?

I was pretty much raised by wolves, and had never heard of Allen Edmonds until hanging out here. Actually, come to think of it, wolves would have been a substaintial upgrade...

I've now looked over the Allen Edmonds items (yum) and am wondering who else I should consider. I have wide feet (an ancestor must have been a Mallard) and so need a standard "wide" size.

A search on "loafers" here yielded much too much to find what I am seeking, even when I tried to parse it down a bit, so I'm asking what may already be well recorded somewhere...

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
My mother produced at least one great one . . .
But seriously folks, aren't Bass Weegens supposed to be the classic? I've got a pair of Dexters that are pretty good, tho I haven't worn them in ages.

Undertow

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Oh, I don't know, I think Florsheims are decent. There are a couple lines Florsheim puts out (or used to put out, Comfortech Wing Tips to be specific) that I don't think are worthy of dog-toy status, but for the most part they do well. I've tried on a few of their loafers and they felt comfortable.

I must admit, however, I don't own any of the Florsheim loafers so I can't give you a long-term opinion on how they may hold up. I'm sure someone here owns a pair. And what about Johnston&Murphys? They aren't too bad looking.

Depending on your size, there are some decent deals on the bay.

DavidVillaJr

One of the Regulars
I really like my Florsheim penny loafers, they're 15 years old, and need new soles, but they're still comfortable and reasonably good looking.

I like them so much, I bought a size 10 pair on ebay, thinking I'd just replace them, but the new ones fit more like an 11 or 11 1/2, so I'm thinking they'll get relisted.

Love my Loafers....

dv

Undertow

You know, I wish I could fit into a normal size shoe. I wear a 14 and rarely have the opportunity to purchase decent shoes on the bay. Not that I can't go to a reputable store and purchase a full-price pair of good shoes, but it would be nice to shop around for some deals now and then.

Vladimir Berkov

One Too Many
I wear Bass Weejuns almost every day. I find them really comfortable, and they have a leather sole. The one downside is that the finish on the leather is sort of plasticy. If I had the cash I would get the Alden cordovan penny loafers.

AlanC

Your best quality to price value will be Allen Edmonds. You can find them at discount on ebay and in their factory stores (also try Sierra Trading Post). As stated above, AE and Alden are your best bets; both are available in various widths. You'll (usually) have to pay for Aldens, though.

Teacher

Familiar Face
I'll second what AlanC says. Finding good AE's on sale/clearance etc. is one of the best overall bargains in men's shoes out there. AE typically has a handfull of styles to choose from, too.

Daisy Buchanan

Just a gal chiming in, but I know a little about mens shoes.
Bass Weejun's are "the" penny loafer. I used to wear the ladies version and they are very comfortable. My Dad, who likes to wear Florsheims and Bruno Maglis, still insists that his Bass Weejun's are the most comfortable and high quality shoes he owns.
I guess when I hear penny loafer, I think Weejun's. I don't think any other brand will do. But hey, I'm just a gal, what the heck do I know:D

AlanC

Daisy Buchanan said:
Just a gal chiming in, but I know a little about mens shoes.
Bass Weejun's are "the" penny loafer. I used to wear the ladies version and they are very comfortable. My Dad, who likes to wear Florsheims and Bruno Maglis, still insists that his Bass Weejun's are the most comfortable and high quality shoes he owns.
I guess when I hear penny loafer, I think Weejun's. I don't think any other brand will do. But hey, I'm just a gal, what the heck do I know:D

If you go for Weejuns, watch ebay for 'Made in USA' versions. They are now done off shore, sadly, but the USA types can be had without too much difficulty. I've also found them pretty readily in thrift stores in good condition. The ultimate in penny loafer is the Alden Leisure Hand Sewn, but you'll pay for it.

Rafter

Suspended
NunnBush.jpg

I discovered this shoe after a bad sizing experience with Bass Weejuns.:rolleyes:
It's a classic dress loafer. Leather lined, handsewn with Dress-Flex® technology for extra comfort.
This is my new airport shoe for travel to business destinations. The sizing is perfect. Very comfortable and easy off/on at security checkpoints!:eusa_clap

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxraff