Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Willis & Geiger - The Full Story?

budrichard

Familiar Face
I always wondered why Lands End purchased the brand and killed Willis & Geiger.
It doesn't make any economic sense but killing a brand because it is viewed as a competitor does and allowing a brand to die because the original spirit is not involved does make sense to me.
Willis & Geiger and Eddie Bauer are gone with Filson following the same track.
Produce junk at inflated prices and sell with advertizing seems to be the 'soup de jour' of the business world today.-Dick
http://www.vice.com/read/the-great-lost-expedition-brand-000212-v20n2

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hi

I remember when Banana Republic had actual stuff you might wear on a safari. I never owned any Willis and Geiger stuff, but then I'm a little young to have gotten the good stuff.

later

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Over the years I've seen similar scenarios played out with countless iconic brands, in virtually all business sectors. It's really sad.

Plumbline

One Too Many
It is indeed ruthless ... and a very interesting read ( similar to my own experience with BP's purchase of the Duckhams business in the 90's). I LOVE this little nugget :

"the A-2 jacket was first issued in 1936, and the average pilot at that time was 5' 6" and weighed 136 pounds. [By the time I bought the company] the current pilot was 5' 11" and weighed 185 pounds. It was a whole different ball game."

There will, however, ALWAYS be a market for QUALITY ( however small) ... and there will always be players in the market looking to play in these niche areas .. but the small fish will always be appetising snacks to bigger players be them aggressive takeoover players or cash rich buyers.

It has always been thus :(

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 16736

“Well, I’ll do my best.” He said, “No, you will do well.”

budrichard

Familiar Face
In researching Military leather jackets, I quickly found out that issued jackets would not fit my body older shape.
Willis & Geiger, Eddie Bauer(made in the USA) on the other hand were sized for the contempory older US male. I have a beautiful W&G A2 size 46 that fits to a T. In Eddie Bauer sizing, I had to go with a 48. My son has the two Eddie Bauer size 46, that were just a little too tight.
Lokking at quality, W&G before Lands End got thier hands on them has excellent quality and the fit is great for me, As related, W&G could have made the Eddie Bauer leather or somone else in the USA. The quailty appears on a par with W&G but the fit tighter.
Currently many manufacturers have moved from numerical sizing to M,L,XL etc. The sizing is smaller for most European and off shore brands so a L is too small and an XL is usually too large for me but sometimes it reqires an XXL, it's a crap shoot.
The only game in town for correct sizing for me is still Filson.-Dick

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo