Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Winter Morning Dress

Tallymond Burke

New in Town
This is my first post so I apologize if I've put it in the wrong place.

My question is this:

What overcoat would be appropriate for daytime winter formal events? I've seen several pictures of chesterfield coats worn with morning dress, but I have been wondering if there is a proscribed coat.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
I've also seen, in old movies, etc., a double breasted top coat of a style that I don't know the name. Dark gray heavy wool. And I believe I've seen coats like that with heavy fur collars as well, worn with formal wear. These were from the late 19th century, as I recall.
Do you mean PREscribed, or PROscribed? The latter means forbidden.

Chasseur

Call Me a Cab
These photos of Prince Phillip inspecting the Horse Guards in winter have been posted before, but give a good idea of how it looks with a DB overcoat.

President+Republic+South+Africa+Makes+State+GC1oBtIN1L0l.jpg

President+Republic+South+Africa+Makes+State+ZKROBq3gt-Gl.jpg

Dr Kilroy

One of the Regulars
A chesterfield is standard today, but a more interesting option would be an overfrock or frock overcoat. It is very similar to a frock coat (i.e. it has a waist seam) but it is longer, so it can hide the tails. It looks like that:

Frockovercoat_1903.jpg

Another interesting alternative is a paletot:

Paletotcoat_dec1909.jpg

I also have to say that I like Prince Philip's overcoat. I am especially fond of buttoning.

Best regards, Dr

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran