Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Woo and more Tigers

dr greg

One Too Many
I read that Joh Woo is doing, or will do, a film about the Flying Tigers, a big budget Chinese effort.
I wonder how the politics of the time will be treated, although the Chicoms would still have no love for the nationalists...lots of work for some repro jacket makers though we can assume!

The Wolf

Call Me a Cab
John Woo will have to go through a lot of doves for this film. :rolleyes:
I agree that Chris Cooper would make a great Stilwell or Robert Stack.

Sincerely,
The Wolf

Chasseur

Call Me a Cab
Well as much as I'd love a movie about the Flying Tigers, I'm not sure about John Woo... I mean has he made anything decent after his Hong Kong action films? I mean the guy who made such stinkers as "Hard Target," "Broken Arrow," "Mission Impossible II," and "Windtalkers" does not inspire me with confidence...:eusa_doh: Though I've not seen "Red Cliff" yet so perhaps he's come back to making good films. [huh]

Story

I'll Lock Up
The film, estimated at $90 million budget, will focus on U.S. Army Lt. Claire Lee Chennault, leader of the Flying Tigers squadron that trained the first group of Chinese fighter pilots tasked with clashing against the Japanese in the sky. Woo's most recent film was Red Cliff, a historical saga about third-century warlords vying for control of China. Broad in scope but with an almost ridiculous attention to detail and certain grace, Cliff oozed with a reverence for Chinese history. Maintaining that same deferential tone will probably be a wise move for Woo in Tigers, what with the recent censorship developments in China.

http://www.cinemablend.com/new/John-Woo-Will-Launch-Flying-Tigers-At-IMAX-20250.html

Regarding who will play Chennault, Woo says “It’s got to be a star but it’s hard to find the right one, because at that time Chennault was almost 50 years old. Ideally, I’ve been thinking of Liam Neeson as the title actor.” Woo would also like Chinese actor Liu Ye (City of Life and Death) to play the role of a young pilot in training opposite Chennault. Pre-production on the $90 million film is set to begin next month in China. Filming is slated to begin next spring for a late 2011 release date.

http://www.collider.com/2010/08/19/john-woo-flying-tigers-imax-liam-neeson/

chennault-life-cover-1942.jpg
neeson.jpg

Edward

Bartender
Neeson would be an excellent choice - he's a high profile name for the marketing, and a very skilled actor. He also has plenty of experience in period pieces. It helps too that he looks a bit like the guy...

While the Chinese Nationalists' politics would be frowned upon by the ruling classes of the modern PRC, no doubt, I don't think that will be much of a problem. The Chinese, in my experience, have been very good at preserving their past (mostly - the beautiful old Beijing City walls were razed in the seventies to build a ring road, but they have long preserved all the various monuments of Imperial China, such as the Forbidden City, Summer Palace, Temple of Heaven, etc). I should expect that if this stays off the internal Chinese politics, and concentrates more on the popular legend side of things - 'heroic Americans help the Chinese against vicious attacks from Japan' - they won't have any problem whatever. Personally, I'd like to see them explore what went on behind the scenes in the US and the US's reasoning for getting involved like this, as I think that's a key and interesting part of the story, but a lot depends on what type of film they want to make.

Feraud

Bartender
Chasseur said:
Well as much as I'd love a movie about the Flying Tigers, I'm not sure about John Woo... I mean has he made anything decent after his Hong Kong action films? I mean the guy who made such stinkers as "Hard Target," "Broken Arrow," "Mission Impossible II," and "Windtalkers" does not inspire me with confidence...:eusa_doh: Though I've not seen "Red Cliff" yet so perhaps he's come back to making good films. [huh]
Same here. I would love to see the Flying Tigers handled competently on film. Is this a Hollywood production? Where do we think they will squeeze in a female love angle? In flashback letters from home? Young Flying Tiger finds local love interest? :eusa_doh:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jusa80