Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

World’s oldest champagne uncorked

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
World’s oldest champagne uncorked
168 bottles salvaged from 200-year-old shipwreck near Finland

MARIEHAMN, Finland — An accent of mushrooms merged with sweet notes of honey in a sampling Wednesday of what's been billed as the world's oldest champagne, salvaged from a shipwreck in the Baltic Sea.

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/40234623

finland%20ancient%20champagne-1852908196_v2.grid-6x2.jpg

The world's leading champagne expert Richard Juhlin samples one of the 168 bottles of champagne salvaged from a 200-year-old shipwreck in the waters off the Aland Islands near Finland.

They finally opened it and it isn't half bad. Go figure. If I remember correctly this is the wreck that they found the beer on as well.

Cheers!

Dan

Hercule

Practically Family
Interesting, but, I can't say I'd really want my champagne to have accents of mushroom. On a not so unrelated side note - A very good and entertaining read can be had from The Billionaire's Vinegar

h

Chas

One Too Many
It's most likely not as good as it once was. Champagne does deteriorate over time, and does not age in the bottle the same as wine does. Whoever buys it at $70k by the bottle is wasting their money.

Viola

Call Me a Cab
Color my neck red but what would make even wine worth 70k a bottle beyond status...? Does it, you know, grant powers? (I have a superhero outfit ready to go, by the way, with a mask and a hat and everything...)

Because I think at that point, you're not doing it for the taste. Surely there's a point of diminishing returns whether it be champagne, wine, or aerosol cool-whip.

Undertow

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Color my neck red but what would make even wine worth 70k a bottle beyond status...? Does it, you know, grant powers? (I have a superhero outfit ready to go, by the way, with a mask and a hat and everything...)

Because I think at that point, you're not doing it for the taste. Surely there's a point of diminishing returns whether it be champagne, wine, or aerosol cool-whip.

Ah, but you must consider this champagne is the epitome of snobbery - the zenith of class, if you will.

While entertaining a few guests at your summer villa in Spain, you conveniently mention, "Champagne? Why not? Should I have Theodore fetch us my Veuve Clicquot 1825? But of course. Theodore, be a dear and pour our guests some bubbly, would you? Thanks Theo - now what was I saying about my recent Pollock purchase?"

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I think its fascinating. Don't wine experts have taste buds and a since of smell that rival dogs? Id think the chemical interactions upon it touching the tongue and nose would be the paramount of one's career. I wouldn't know what I'd be tasting, but if I did, Im sure the adventure would be worth it. Plus, once they run that through a computer, Im sure they will try to mimic the taste in a modern spirit.

LD

CopperNY

A-List Customer
Ah, but you must consider this champagne is the epitome of snobbery - the zenith of class, if you will.

While entertaining a few guests at your summer villa in Spain, you conveniently mention, "Champagne? Why not? Should I have Theodore fetch us my Veuve Clicquot 1825? But of course. Theodore, be a dear and pour our guests some bubbly, would you? Thanks Theo - now what was I saying about my recent Pollock purchase?"

nice. yes, in some circles (where it matters) you will be able to steal party goers from your social rival with this champagne.

also, my neighbor has a sealed bottle of Jack Daniels from 1970. he's waiting four more years, to open it on his 60th birthday. can't imagine whiskey stored in glass would mature all that much.....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner