Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

World's longest radio serial ??

Frankie Lamb

One of the Regulars
I just picked up some more old radio programs on mp3/cd from the Radio Lady, and among my selection was one called: "Passage of the Tangmar."
It was listed as having 52 episodes on this single c d, so I assumed there were 52, half-hour separate episodes; not so! The "episode" is 52 12minute episodes covering the same story. Ten hours on the same plot!! It's an Australian program done in the 1950's I believe, and is one of the best acted radio shows I've ever heard.( and I've heard one or two.) I'm only on hour four so far, and there's only been one murder, with I suspect another four to follow. So you can see why it takes ten hours to do the whole thing.
You can find information on this program on the internet if you're interested.
Can't wait to take a nice, long ride in the country and listen to the rest of it to find out who the killer is.
Frankie L.

MikeBravo

One Too Many
I don't know that one. I have heard of Blue Hills, found in Wikipedia:

Blue Hills, written by Gwen Meredith, was an Australian radio serial about the lives of families in a typical Australian country town, called Tanimbla. "Blue Hills" itself was the residence of the town’s doctor.

Blue Hills was broadcast by the Australian Broadcasting Commission (ABC) for 27 years, from 28 February 1949 to 30 September 1976. It ran for a total of 5,795 episodes, and was at one time the world's longest-running radio serial. Each episode lasted 15 minutes

davidraphael

Practically Family
The Archers on BBC Radio 4 started on 29 May 1950 and is still running today.

"With more than 16,000 episodes, it is both the world's longest running radio soap and, since the axing of the American soap opera Guiding Light in September 2009, the world's longest running soap opera in any format"

bunnyb.gal

Practically Family
We had enforced listening of The Archers at my former workplace - I bought myself a personal stereo for that very reason, 'cause I couldn't bear it! The Tangmar one sounds worth a listen though - thanks for the heads up!

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
The Archers on BBC Radio 4 started on 29 May 1950 and is still running today.

"With more than 16,000 episodes, it is both the world's longest running radio soap and, since the axing of the American soap opera Guiding Light in September 2009, the world's longest running soap opera in any format"

What a record! Yes, The Guiding Light was our longest running serial, starting on radio in 1937...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shiny hats