Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

WTB: 1930's Suit, 40-42R

fluteplayer07

One Too Many
I'm in the market for a suit, and I figured vintage is best. I'm looking for a genuine 30's suit, in a 40-42R. I don't know what size I am exactly, so this is the general size range I'm in, and I can double check with your exact measurements. I'm looking for one hopefully with a belted back. Double breasted would be great, or any type with a waistcoat. Any color that's more conservative (grays, dark blues, browns, black, subtle pinstripes--anything that's not too bright). My waist size is about a 32-33, or anything that can be altered to that. Inseam of 33-ish.

So if you guys have anything unwanted hanging in your closets, then holler. Hope I'm not being too picky. Well, I'm sure something will wash up eventually.

Thanks a lot,
flute

dakotanorth

Practically Family
Uh...

Not to be a buzzkill, but finding a suit is generally more work than posting on this site.
You'll probably have to do what most of us do- search the vintage stores, check thrift stores (I would ask about them- most of them nowadays have wised up and do not put anything vintage on the racks), check the vintage fashion shows, go to the local swap meets, flea markets, etc. Garage sales might pay off but I doubt it.

It's a lot like archeology; you have to spend a lot of time and effort, sifting through the debris until you stumble across a rare find.

Enjoy the adventure; start out simple- ties perhaps. Talk to shop owners, learn the ebb and flow of vintage clothing, understand why you can or cannot find certain items. It's definitely a journey, not a destination, but you might discover something you never even realized.

fluteplayer07

One Too Many
Thanks to Rick for the PM, and thanks to dakotanorth for the advice! :) I actually have something coming up soon that requires a suit, and I cast a line out in hopes of finding something here before the event. And if it didn't reciprocate, then I'd just head to the store to buy a modern suit. I'll definitely heed your advice, though.

Cheers,
flute

LuckyKat

Practically Family
I have a 3 piece, single breasted, notch lapel, late 30s navy blue Belted Back suit in a size 42R, & I'm asking $600 on it.

Let me know if you're interested.

Benny

fluteplayer07

One Too Many
Thanks for the offer, Benny. I went to try on suits to determine my actual size, which I have determined to be a 40R. I think I better change that in the title. $600 is a lot more than what I really want to spend (or have). Since I posted this ad, I have subsequently secured a 1940's DB sport coat, which I think can hold me over for a while. But if you find any 30's suits in a 40R, please keep me in mind in the upcoming months.

Thanks,

LuckyKat

Practically Family
I do have a size 40R in my post: "Belted Backs for sale" It's suit #3 & it's navy w/ Red & white alternating pinstripes...check it out & let me know if you're interested: http://thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=48410

ry%3D400

LuckyKat

Practically Family
If you wore the pants without a cuff, you could easily get a 32" inseam, otherwise, there's a chance you might be able to false cuff it & it may work.

Let me know...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou