Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

WW2 Marine Corps zippers and pockets

PaidInFull24

Familiar Face
Hi all,

I have posted this thread in the WW2 section of the forum, but am also posting it here because this spot seems to see alot of very knowlegeable people as well. Any help is much appreciated!

I bought a Marine Corps type Alpha dress green uniform at a garage sale today. The man that I bought it from claimed that it was his uncle's from WW2. I believe his story because he also had his dad's 94th infantry Class A dress tunic to accompany (He didn't want to part with that one). The uniform that I bought is smooth wool with red and green Sargeant's ranks on both shoulders. There are no markings that I can find anywhere in the jacket, other than a small tag inside the collar (by the coat hanging tab) that says 36 and I think XL though it is hard to decipher due to fading. The material that the size is printed on the tag is almost identical fabric to the collar tag on my WW2 issue Navy pea coat. I tried the underarm trick on the jacket to find a quartermasters date, but didn't find one. The inside of the jacket is partly lined with a silken-type green material. To me it seems that it was a tailored officer's uniform because of the quality of the materials. The pants are the same color, but where I'm hung up is that they have a zip-fly and two back pockets. I have read in a couple of spots on the net that WW2 Marine uniforms only had button flys and no back pockets, but I didn't know if this pertained to tailored uniforms or if perhaps they started adding zippers and back pockets later in the war. The pants are also sized 32x31 with the marking N 8520 DV on the inside of the right pocket. Again, I could not find any markings to tell of maker or date. The inside of the pants are VERY similar to my USAAF class A pants in color of cotton material and pattern. Could someone please advise? Thanks in advance!

Regards,
Nick

PaidInFull24

Familiar Face
I should add that on the collar of the coat, there are stitch-lined cutout holes for the screw-back globe insignia to be attached. My main question is whether it is WW2 or later. Any help is great help! Thanks guys!

Regards,
Nick

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shiny hats