Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

WWII fighter pilot Quentin Aanenson 1921-2008

Burnsie

WWII fighter pilot Quentin Aanenson dies
December 29, 2008 19:46 EST

BETHESDA, Md. (AP) -- Quentin C. Aanenson, a World War II fighter pilot who produced a documentary on his wartime experience and was featured in Ken Burns' "The War," has died.

Aanenson's son, Jerry, says his father died Sunday of cancer at his home in Bethesda. He was 87.

Quentin Aanenson enlisted in the Army Air Corps in 1942 and became a fighter pilot, flying missions over Germany.

On his Web site, Aanenson says he spent most of his combat missions with the 391st Fighter Squadron of the 366th Fighter Group. His documentary, "A Fighter Pilot's Story," was first shown on public television in 1994.

Aanenson was featured in Burns' seven-part World War II documentary, partly through the letters he sent home to his girlfriend, Jacqueline, whom he later married.

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
If what that man was made of could be bottled...

May he rest in peace, and may his family always take comfort in the special pride that is theirs alone.

Atterbury Dodd

One Too Many
Sad to hear of Mr. Aanenson's death. My Grandpop (who served in WWII) gave us(the grandchildren) a copy of Fighter Pilot's Story and I have watched it many times. It is always very moving to watch.

Sharpsburg

One of the Regulars
While I wasn't thrilled with "The War" as a whole, I very clearly remember Mr. Aanenson's touching memories as a pilot. His struggles over the years to come to grips with his past.

Remarkable man made that much more remarkable by telling his story to us all.

Sharpsburg

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
This is so sad.

I, too, remember him discussing his memories on Ken Burns' The War. He was so eloquent and honest about it all.

May he rest in peace.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn