Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

WWII Parsons/M-41 Question

Chindit

New in Town
Hello,
I have a highly technical question about the early OD Field Jacket (aka "Parsons or M-38" Jacket).

I thought I heard somewhere that the Parsons did not have "gussets" under the armpits--that is wasn't unitl the later field jacket variant (M-1941) where eppaulets were added (and pocket flaps removed) that underarm gussets were added.

Does anyone know if this is accurate? Or was there a variation Field Jacket that had no eppaulets, pocket flaps and gussets?

Thanks so much.

Joe

McCreary

New in Town
Hey, during the war there were lots of very small variations on any and all equipment between dates and manufacturers.
The M-38 had several notable differences from the M-41, chief among those being the bulge pockets having flaps, the belt in the back was narrower, there was a row of stitching about an inch or so from the edge of the cuff, and there were no epaulets on the M-38. In Re gussets; I believe that the '41 had two rows of stitching on the underarm where the '38 only had one. But that could be the trait of a manufacturer.

I hope that helps you out.

-Mac

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vladyslav