Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

WWII tank unearthed

leaette

A-List Customer
that is a great story. how come i never find anything cool when i'm digging in my backyard? my son would sure love a tank in our yard! heck, so would hubby!

RudyN

One of the Regulars
After reading that story, I am going to do some digging in my back yard. ;) Seriously, that is a good story. I have also read some articles about finding Russian T34s in swamps in Russia.

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
I learned about that from this site http://www.vincelewis.net/t34.html which is a pretty goofy, but really fun site on which to spend way too much time. There are a lot of photos in the link.

RudyN said:
After reading that story, I am going to do some digging in my back yard. ;) Seriously, that is a good story. I have also read some articles about finding Russian T34s in swamps in Russia.

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
PHOTO!

image of the actual tank!
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/france/2075833/World-War-II-US-D-Day-invasion-tank-unearthed-in-France.html

wwII-tanker-404_676344c.jpg

The Wingnut

One Too Many
Rather appropriate time for it to be discovered!

Jaques Littlefield, take note. This may be one you don't have!

Atterbury Dodd

One Too Many
Amazing that it is in good condition (according to the article). I wonder if it is in good enough condition that it could be restored?

It's so damp in the ground where I live that something like this would surely have rusted away.

WH1

Practically Family
A couple of years ago the Marine Corps found an M4 Sherman Flamethrower tank which had been lost in an infantry maneuver area on the base, if you have ever been in the swamps and woods there you know it is easy to do. It was recovered and they are/have restored it to working condition. It was buried as well but was in very good condition when recovered.
attached is a link to a news blurb about it. Sorry it is in a newsletter and you will have to read down to the 3rd page. There are also a couple of pictures.

http://www.texasmuseum.org/newsletter/MMoTnews065c.pdf

Miss Sis

One Too Many
I read a hilarious story a number of years ago about someone unearthing a tank in their back garden - in New Zealand.

A man decided he wanted to put in a swimming pool in his back garden, so started digging. He hit something metal so excavated a bit further, only to find a WW2 tank down there!

Can you imagine his wife's reaction?!? I wonder what the original 'bury-er was told by HIS wife? I think it would have been something like 'What the hell???? I'm not having that thing in my garden - get rid of it!!!'

I know in England bomb craters in London had wrecked double decker buses driven into them to help fill them in but why anyone would bury a tank in their garden is beyond me!

Luddite

One of the Regulars
I read an article once about five Harley WLAs and a Jeep which were buried in crates during the war for recovery and sale on the black market later. These were recovered in the 1980s and were still in decent condition! Maybe the tank-buriers did it with an eye for profit?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner