Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

‘Oppenheimer’ is a masterpiece

Aloysius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I was surprised to see that there isn’t another thread about the film, considering it is so firmly ‘Golden Age’ in its setting.

I think this is Nolan’s best work from a filmmaking perspective, and the costuming is standout, from tailoring to outerwear to, of course, Oppenheimer’s iconic hat.

I really don’t want to say much about the film because this needs to be experienced–what’s more, if you see it on a film print, whether that is 15/70mm IMAX, 5/70mm, or 35mm, it is an entirely analogue production! No digital intermediate or computer tricks. This also means the full quality of the format is preserved–well beyond any digital format is capable of.

The chances of finding such an experience are vanishingly small today, so I urge you to try to find a film screening of it if you can. Keeping film (as well as the workshops that make film prints, the suppliers that repair and build parts for film projectors, the trained projectionists who can display them) alive is critical.

On this forum we speak often about jeans made on vintage looms, 1930s button hole machines, and so on. Those survived because a critical mass of people kept them going. We need to make sure film and its infrastructure survives. Seeing this on a film format shows that there are people who care.

I travelled four hours to watch it on 15/70mm, which only 30 cinemas around the world are now capable of screening, but I was able to find a standard 5/70mm screening near home and went to that for my second viewing.

There is a full list of locations around the world that are screening it on film at this link.

FOXTROT LAMONT

One Too Many
Oppenheimer opened here last week same time US and it's good, definitely a classic worth time and effort to see.
A large screen production, grist for the mind's mill no doubt. Understand a money maker to boot, putting bill paid to
those simple minded Hollywood naysayers who tend to discount the paying public fan mobility.

Aloysius

Oppenheimer opened here last week same time US and it's good, definitely a classic worth time and effort to see.
A large screen production, grist for the mind's mill no doubt. Understand a money maker to boot, putting bill paid to
those simple minded Hollywood naysayers who tend to discount the paying public fan mobility.

Since you're in London (I lived right across the way from you), I'd recommend trying to make it down to the BFI IMAX to catch a screening. That's where the director himself tests out his footage, so it's the "ideal" experience so to say.

Aloysius

Wife and I looking to see it this week, no local Imax sadly, but still pumped to see it on a big screen!

If you can make it to Missisauga (Cineplex Cinemas Mississauga) or Toronto (Cineplex Cinemas Varsity) you can catch 2 of the only 30 true IMAX film screenings of the film in the world. I'd highly recommend it, even if it's a second viewing.

Been recommending this to Ontario based friends! There are only three metro areas in the world that have more than one 70mm IMAX option: Toronto, LA, and London. Not even New York.

No digital format, even Dolby Cinema or Laser IMAX, comes close to the picture quality.

FOXTROT LAMONT

One Too Many
Since you're in London (I lived right across the way from you), I'd recommend trying to make it down to the BFI IMAX to catch a screening. That's where the director himself tests out his footage, so it's the "ideal" experience so to say.
I ''must'' see Barbie because the boss has this chick flickitis over it, rumour is that couples are making this a
date double feature. I cannot understand this. If any leverage presents itself that offers escape from barbiedoll
I'll seize it. I think Oppenheimer needs a big screen respectful watch anyway.

Aloysius

I ''must'' see Barbie because the boss has this chick flickitis over it, rumour is that couples are making this a
date double feature. I cannot understand this. If any leverage presents itself that offers escape from barbiedoll
I'll seize it. I think Oppenheimer needs a big screen respectful watch anyway.

My understanding is that Barbie is an auteur film dressed up in commercial garb, so it might be a better watch than you fear. I haven't gone yet, but mean to. Probably after a third viewing of Oppenheimer though…

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
If you can make it to Missisauga (Cineplex Cinemas Mississauga) or Toronto (Cineplex Cinemas Varsity) you can catch 2 of the only 30 true IMAX film screenings of the film in the world. I'd highly recommend it, even if it's a second viewing.

Been recommending this to Ontario based friends! There are only three metro areas in the world that have more than one 70mm IMAX option: Toronto, LA, and London. Not even New York.

No digital format, even Dolby Cinema or Laser IMAX, comes close to the picture quality.
We are only about an hour and a bit from Mississauga, we will look that up!

The Lost Cowboy

One Too Many
I have read the movie is very good cinema as entertainment but as per usual do not rely on Hollywood for the actual facts.
Actually the movie seems very much on the factual side. It leaves out certain characterisitcs of Oppenheimer but gets most of the events right - even taking direct quotations from historical documents.

For me, the complaint actually was that it is too long on facts and too short on story. It's almost like a Wikipedia article with a soundtrack.

And the hats - or lack of them: other than Oppenheimer, almost nobody wears them.

I am a fan of Christopher Nolan but this was disappointing, though it did have a certain charm and I will probably give it another viewing at some point. It's certainly not bad and I agree that it is technically captivating, but from a plot perspective it falls short.

Momein

One of the Regulars
I was surprised to see that there isn’t another thread about the film, considering it is so firmly ‘Golden Age’ in its setting.

I think this is Nolan’s best work from a filmmaking perspective, and the costuming is standout, from tailoring to outerwear to, of course, Oppenheimer’s iconic hat.

I really don’t want to say much about the film because this needs to be experienced–what’s more, if you see it on a film print, whether that is 15/70mm IMAX, 5/70mm, or 35mm, it is an entirely analogue production! No digital intermediate or computer tricks. This also means the full quality of the format is preserved–well beyond any digital format is capable of.

The chances of finding such an experience are vanishingly small today, so I urge you to try to find a film screening of it if you can. Keeping film (as well as the workshops that make film prints, the suppliers that repair and build parts for film projectors, the trained projectionists who can display them) alive is critical.

On this forum we speak often about jeans made on vintage looms, 1930s button hole machines, and so on. Those survived because a critical mass of people kept them going. We need to make sure film and its infrastructure survives. Seeing this on a film format shows that there are people who care.

I travelled four hours to watch it on 15/70mm, which only 30 cinemas around the world are now capable of screening, but I was able to find a standard 5/70mm screening near home and went to that for my second viewing.

There is a full list of locations around the world that are screening it on film at this link.

Thanks for your reference to the 15/70mm, Aloysius. Without it, I probably wouldn't have watched the film in that format. However, I now saw the film over the weekend at Germany's largest cinema, the Lichtburg in Essen, Germany. What can I say, I am still impressed by this cinematic masterpiece.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner