Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

11 Pound Buffalo Jacket

Fifty150

One Too Many
I once got a Barry Manilow greatest hits record album for $0.25. I haggled the seller down from $1. You've got to love flea markets. It's still my number 1 source for 8 track tapes & possibly stolen car stereos with cut wiring.

dr greg

One Too Many
I've been selling antiques books records and vintage clothes at markets for over 30 years, and if anyone tried to bargain me DOWN on a dollar item, I'd grab one of my Fijian war clubs or old police batons, and drive them from the stall...I mean PALEEZE!!!!! NOBODY is that poor.

I've been selling antiques books records and vintage clothes at markets for over 30 years, and if anyone tried to bargain me DOWN on a dollar item, I'd grab one of my Fijian war clubs or old police batons, and drive them from the stall...I mean PALEEZE!!!!! NOBODY is that poor.

Yeah, there's a point (for me) of good taste when bargaining at a swap meet/flee market/garage sale. I mean, if I'm getting a killer deal, do I really need to ask for more off? OTOH, many folks jack up prices anticipating a good back and forth. It's pretty obvious which is which (to me) and I have too much pride and I guess a certain dignity that says don't squabble over small ticket items...

Edward

Bartender
[video=youtube;3n3LL338aGA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3n3LL338aGA[/video]

Haggling is half the fun! I've ended up on several visits to Bejing markets buying stuff I wasn't all that fussed on, but was enjoying the haggle too much... lol

dr greg

One Too Many
My sister threw out some dresses once, and she used to live in Paris, so not mallcrap, I put em out at $5 each, this woman offered me $2 for one, no way I said, she hassled me ALL DAY..came back every 20 minutes or so...2 dulla 2 dulla 2 dulla, after about 6 hours of this, I went FFS OK half price $2.50, OK she went and opened the wallet: there was a wad of 50's in there thicker than my boot heel, she could have bought the entire stall and had a grand left over...unbelievable...at the same market I saw a widow put out her husband's tools, the entire shed, and as you would expect, not rubbish, and I'm talkin POWER tools, old brass planes, hammers saws etc...20c an item!! You know there were scumbags beatin her down to three items for 50c, I watched the tears run down her face as these lowlifes went in like sharks on a carcass, a shameful thing to behold...some people are mean as catshit...you see a lot when you sell things to the genpop.....

too much coffee

Practically Family
My sister threw out some dresses once, and she used to live in Paris, so not mallcrap, I put em out at $5 each, this woman offered me $2 for one, no way I said, she hassled me ALL DAY..came back every 20 minutes or so...2 dulla 2 dulla 2 dulla, after about 6 hours of this, I went FFS OK half price $2.50, OK she went and opened the wallet: there was a wad of 50's in there thicker than my boot heel, she could have bought the entire stall and had a grand left over...unbelievable...at the same market I saw a widow put out her husband's tools, the entire shed, and as you would expect, not rubbish, and I'm talkin POWER tools, old brass planes, hammers saws etc...20c an item!! You know there were scumbags beatin her down to three items for 50c, I watched the tears run down her face as these lowlifes went in like sharks on a carcass, a shameful thing to behold...some people are mean as catshit...you see a lot when you sell things to the genpop.....

Altruistically stated dr greg. Unfortunately I've had similar experiences.

coffee

Fifty150

One Too Many
OK she went and opened the wallet: there was a wad of 50's in there thicker than my boot heel, she could have bought the entire stall and had a grand left over...unbelievable........

That lady probably also clips coupons, only shops on double coupon day, and eats the grapes in the market just because she can sample them for free.

Tony B

One of the Regulars
As a long time lurcker I have read quite a bit on here but I must admit this is one of the best threads I have seen on here just for the pure entertainment value and just like Edward life of Brian was the first thing that came to mind.

I just couldn't bring myself to haggle on the cheap stuff ...too english... and car booting is still far better than waiting for an ebay auction to end and getting beaten with 1 second to go so I just cough up and buy.

Fifty150

One Too Many
Which is why she has a wad of $50's. But, it's still lacking a certain "class" IMO.

You wonder if people like that are truly happy. I know a guy in NYC who owns a half dozen buildings, some residential & some are mixed use. But this guy only owns one sweater; it is threadbare, has food stains, and recently he wanted my opinion on patching over a small tear. Let's not even talk about how cheap the guy gets when it comes to food. He is worth almost $10Million, but will only take the bus or subway. After all of his due diligence, he has decided that it is not worth the cost to fix his sweater, will not spend good money to replace it, and he will continue to wear it with the hole since it really does not compromise the performance.

dr greg

One Too Many
You wonder if people like that are truly happy. .
Well I know a guy who's worth about that much, and he ain't happy at all, I'm still pretty good buddies with him because I'm the only bloke he knows who doesn't try and get him to invest in schemes or buy stock in this or that startup, women are always trying to take him to the cleaners, and his son runs up debts all over the place knowing the old man will bail him out when the thugs come calling, the mother of that one gave up work and became an ice-addict because she spent all day sitting round bludging in the house he bought her, and tried to kill him with a hammer as he slept because he wouldn't pay her power bill.....he drinks himself to sleep every night because basically he can't trust anybody close to him...money can't buy everything....BTW haven't seen him for a while, but I doubt if much has changed.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DavidZL