Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

1880's-1920's Pocket Knife reproduction I made

Atterbury Dodd

One Too Many
Thought I'd share some photos of a knife I just finnished making from scratch. I made it to carry on Civil War reenactments, but farther research tells me the knife I copied it from was post CW. So it fits more in the time frame of 1880's to the 1920's (this style was less popular by that time (20's)then it had been in the 1800's). So it fits here.
Enjoy!

DSCN1640.jpg

DSCN1608.jpg

DSCN1644.jpg

Atterbury Dodd

One Too Many
Just for the fun of it. Here is a page I scanned out of my 1925 Sears Roebuck catalog; notice down in the left hand corner a knife of the pattern I made. Listed as a boys knife, however--mine's a little big for that at 3 3/4 in;).

SearsR.jpg

Jay

Practically Family
Great job! I like the no-nonsense design of it. Where do you learn to make a knife from scratch?

Atterbury Dodd

One Too Many
Jay said:
Great job! I like the no-nonsense design of it. Where do you learn to make a knife from scratch?

I learned by taking apart an old knife a friend of mine gave me. He had lost it for a long time and it was totally ruined (so rusty it would never open again) so I dissected it and that helped me to figure out how they are put together. Then I designed my own! It's not really hard to make one it just takes determination.

Madcap72

One of the Regulars
Atterbury Dodd said:
I learned by taking apart an old knife a friend of mine gave me. He had lost it for a long time and it was totally ruined (so rusty it would never open again) so I dissected it and that helped me to figure out how they are put together. Then I designed my own! It's not really hard to make one it just takes determination.

You can always put stuff like that in muratic acid. I don't know how many tools, knives, and equipment thats rusted up I've seen tossed overboard, when all it would have taken is 2 minutes in the dip tank.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo