Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

1890s dunlap and co top Tp hat

Acenova

New in Town
I just bought a dunlap and co vintage top hat off of ebay, it's in really great shape. The only problem is the size was not advertised correctly and it is a little small on my head. Can these be sized easily? I'm thinking I only need it a size bigger. Any help or advice would be appreciated. I'll post some pictures when I get home. I was also wondering about value, and history of the Dunlap company. Thanks in advance!

MondoFW

Practically Family
We wouldn't have anything to say about the value of it without any photos of the hat. As for sizing, hats can be stretched a size up or two with a hat stretcher, but it's a ghetto fix I would highly advise against with vintage hats (especially in this case, where the hat is +100 years old). If you're unhappy with an ill-fitting antique hat that will just serve as a display item, think about getting that returned to the seller, since you say the hat size was advertised incorrectly.

Welcome to the Lounge btw! Please upload pics of the hat, I'm a sucker for top hats.

The Jackal

One of the Regulars
I don't have any experience with top hats, but I will say that I found it nearly impossible to stretch a Bowler and it was causing serious deformation when I tried. I'm assuming trying to resize a top hat would be pretty similar due to the stiff nature of the hat

Of course it's always possible I simply didn't know how to stretch a Bowler.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Acenova

New in Town
Thanks for the info, and I will post pics in a couple hours when I get home. I bought it to wear, so I was hoping it would be easy to stretch it, but if not I'll keep it and buy a newer one. It is still a neat display piece I guess. I paid 100 for it, so hopefully I didnt get taken too bad.

Acenova

New in Town
Trying to upload pictures but the files are too big. I'll have to turn my resolution down and try again

Acenova

New in Town
How does it look? Too small?

Attachments

• 15574970719891133512710451207403.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 740

Acenova

New in Town
Let me know what you guys think and if I did ok price wise

Attachments

• 15574972754772035442602522987253.jpg
    15574972754772035442602522987253.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 739
  • 15574973215821182457180018742562.jpg
    15574973215821182457180018742562.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 704
  • 15574973400972067405747237732747.jpg
    15574973400972067405747237732747.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 721

Acenova

New in Town
based on this picture, i'd say it is too small. It looks pretty high on the back of your head.

I will extend that how it feels to you matters more, but I think you already crossed that bridge.
It doesnt feel bad, but it definitely sits higher than I'd like it to. I really like the look of a top hat, and I am in need of one for my extra curricular activities, so I am going to use this one for now as I search for a bigger one. Hopefully it wont look as akward when I'm in my full tux. Anyone on here know dunlap very well? I'm wondering what your opinions are on the age as well, the ad said 1890s but it seems in too good of shape to be that old

TheOldFashioned

Call Me a Cab
It doesnt feel bad, but it definitely sits higher than I'd like it to. I really like the look of a top hat, and I am in need of one for my extra curricular activities, so I am going to use this one for now as I search for a bigger one. Hopefully it wont look as akward when I'm in my full tux. Anyone on here know dunlap very well? I'm wondering what your opinions are on the age as well, the ad said 1890s but it seems in too good of shape to be that old

According to the Grand Rapids Public Museum:

Mackenzie, Bostock, Monroe Company was a retailer based on Monroe Ave in Grand Rapids. Early records show the company was in operation as early as 1912 and was registered in Grand Rapids until at least 1986. They were known for their quality clothing, neckties, menswear, hats, and furniture. The original President was C.W. Monroe, the Vice President was M.W. Mackenzie, and the Secretary and Treasurer was F. G. Bostak.
So at the earliest this would place it at 1912. Depending on the condition of the sweatband you may be able to peak behind it for any labels, stamps, or other forms of identification. These usually offer the best clues for dating. Proceed with caution (or not at all), however, as this may cause damage to the sweatband depending on its condition.

Anubis

Familiar Face
Personally if the listing was misleading about the size i would file a claim before it's to late.

That hat really sits high on your head, it looks like it's just waiting to tip right off.

You spent good money on the hat, because of the size you won't get it back if you do want to resell it, this shouldn't be your burden, it sounds like the guy mislabeled the size to sell it..

You could get another top hat off eBay that fits for 130 to 150 and you may find one your size for 100 if you find one with a best offer.

You can keep it if you want however in my opinion get a top hat you truly want that you like that fits and feels well and don't settle for less if your spending good money.

If the eBay listing was misleading and you file for item not as described you WILL get your money back.

That's my advice, there's more top hats and you could have a new one by next week and your money back.

MondoFW

Practically Family
Agreed, take advantage of ebay's generosity towards buyers and search for a better topper. They're quite ubiquitous still, which is cool since they're interesting hats.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran