Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

1920s - fashion with fun, whimsy and chic

Vintage Betty

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Wow, those are some stunners Mohito. But this one looks earlier than 1920 to me.

1656x.jpg

Thoughts?

Vintage Betty

Mojito

One Too Many
Vintage Betty said:
Wow, those are some stunners Mohito. But this one looks earlier than 1920 to me.

1656x.jpg

Thoughts?

Vintage Betty

It certainly does have an air of the teens about it, Vintage Betty - I thought that yesterday when I was going through the VT gallery. 1919 or earlier crossed my mind...if it were longer, I'd even have thought 1910ish. The site, however, dates it to c. 1923, and looking through references I do see a few from that year that have a somewhat similar sillouette. The top isn't too blouson and the waist is quite high - there are higher waisted dresses from c. 1920 -22, but they're usually fuller on top.

Those fans are gorgeous - I love the advertising fans of the period! I'm currently looking for a white feather fan, either court style or with 1 - 3 single plumes.

The dress in that photo is a devore velvet with chiffon panels - my friend is wearing one as well and I'll post a photo of her dress later, as it's a very clever Autumnal themed design. Rumoured provenance is that it belonged to a Saint Louis jazz singer, but I have no way of confirming or disproving that suggestion, as I have only her forename!

The second dress is another first-half of the teens dress, an organdy dating to c. 1922 or so. The bandeau belongs to another dress that was worn on a Boston physician's honeymoon in 1926...I haven't photographed it yet and really need to do so, as it has the most beautiful colours - green with silver metallic lace and belt and streames in two shades of pink velvet.

Miss Hattie

Familiar Face
Wow what an amazing collection you have Mojito. You certainly pull off the 20's fashions very well.:eusa_clap
I started collection 20's clothes and Jewellery, but after a while moved on to the 30's and 40's as I found the prices got too high for me (sob) Never did find that beaded dress I sooooo wanted at the time:rolleyes:

However I do have a few examples (nothing like yours I hasten to add:eek: )

Keep showing your wonderful collection...... pretty please:D

Vintage Betty

Thank you Mohito - I am learning many new things from you! :) And I agree with Miss Hattie - please continue to post your collection!

Pretty please?

Vintage Betty

Miss Sis

One Too Many
Betty, both the embroidered dress above and the crochet set look 30s not 20s to me. I suspect the blue dress has been shortened too. It has all the characteristics of a 30s evening dress - plunging back, natural waist, gathering to emphasise bust. Also the length of the knit set and the short jumper doesn't suggest the 20s.

You have some amazing dresses, Mojito. They are real works of art. My Nana wore a net type Juliet cap at her wedding in 1937, so it certainly continued as a trend. I still have it tucked away somewhere at my Mum's.

Vintage Betty

Miss Sis said:
Betty, both the embroidered dress above and the crochet set look 30s not 20s to me. I suspect the blue dress has been shortened too. It has all the characteristics of a 30s evening dress - plunging back, natural waist, gathering to emphasise bust. Also the length of the knit set and the short jumper don't suggest the 20s.

You have some amazing dresses, Mojito. They are real works of art. My Nana wore a net type Juliet cap at her wedding in 1937, so it certainly continued as a trend. I still have it tucked away somewhere at my Mum's.

The white crochet dress was purchased from an online dealer who identified it as a 192X dated dress; and the blue dress is actually full-length, but my mannequin is short. :eusa_doh:

Should I remove them to retain the purity of this thread?

VB

Miss Hattie

Familiar Face
To be honest I feel a little silly posting my 20’s frocks after seeing these beaded bedazzlements (have I made that word up!? Well I mean amazingly overwhelming beauties!) Lets just say mine look like rags up against the ones shown so far!:eek:

Well here goes…

Wedding dress shown without belt and buckle or headdrss
P1010017-2.jpg

The wedding dress did come with the veil but that was just beyond repair like the box with water damage

Crazy patchwork dress (one of my faves- but has seen better days!)
P1010003.jpg

A close up-
P1010006.jpg

I also have another dress with a beaded waist and neck which I think is twenties- but can't find the picture yet:p

Hats x

Mojito

One Too Many
It's a very attractive dress, VB - please leave it up! I've already posted one dress that's probably on the cusp, and a 30s Juliet Cap. Is there an exclusive 30s thread? I wouldn't mind seeing one...I know that there are some spectacular examples among the FL readership.

Speaking of which, I'd love to see your Nana's wedding cap, Miss Sis. The note that came with the one I posted here was lovely - I wish every item of vintage clothing came with comments from the original owner. I'll look up one of the vintage wedding threads and post it.

Miss Hattie - wow! I don't have any wedding dress examples yet, so I love yours, with that use of metallic lace (?). Yours still looks lovely and supple. And I adore the second dress! I'd love to find one of these - they remind me so much of Natalia Goncharova's work, like this dress in the V&A:

VAdress.jpg

There's also a lovely example by the House of Revellin in Ellie Laubner's book.

Mojito

One Too Many
And in honour of Vintage Betty's lovely, fluttery pink dress on the first page, here are a few other pretty, light chiffon gowns.

The first is strikingly contemporary:

Fridaydress.jpg

These two ladies are friends of mine - the one of the left has a wonderful collection, with some very striking headwear. The one on the right is wearing one of my dresses, with my creased crown cloche. I'll see if I can take some close ups when I get around to cloches - according to one source, the creases in these are often steamed out as it's assumed the hat's crown has been squished down!

GatsbyJillLee.jpg

Another friend with a wonderful collection, both of costume and Art Deco furnishings:
GatsbyLee.jpg

Mojito

One Too Many
Thanks for posting those close ups of the sunshine dress, Laura - I do love that longer, flaring back...not to mention the beading detail! Glad you're enjoying the thread!

Vintage Betty

Wow-Miss Hattie, I never knew that patchwork dresses existed during the 1920's. Where did you find such a treasure?

And Miss Mojito, I cannot express in words what a stunning collection you have and the amazing matching accessories! How very rare!

Vintage Betty

A couple more from my collection that were gifts.

These are both too damaged to be worn, but I've been keeping them for 10-20 years trying to figure out what to do with them. This dress happens to look really good on me, and I can't wear it! :( Ideas anyone?

1920's Pink Beaded Sheath Dress with underslip

20s_pink_beaded_dress1.JPG

20s_pink_beaded_dress2.JPG

20s_pink_beaded_dress3.JPG

20s_pink_beaded_dress4.JPG

tuppence

Practically Family
Mojito said:
It is a stunner, isn't it, LelaViavonie? She certainly knew how to make an impression.

Vintage Betty, I'd be thrilled if you added your clothes, hats, accessories etc to the thread! I didn't intend it to be centered on my collection - just a general discussion of all things with 20s pizzaz. Are those the hats in the Vintage Hat thread? I'd love to see them up here!

My yellow beaded and sequined dress arrived today, and I'm beyond thrilled with it. It was delivered at work, and even colleagues who couldn't give a hoot about vintage clothing were mesmerised. Given the incredible weight of the beads, the condition is amazing - but that's the best thing about these cotton based French beaded dresses: the condition.

There are some beautiful examples in a rainbow of colours - here are three I own:

Feather.jpg

Flapperfront.jpg

Same dress in action at the 2008 Hastings Ball in New Zealand:

HastingsBall001.jpg

And today's darling:

golddressfront.jpg

I'll probably wear the gold sequined evening cloche in the first post with this one.
Mojito, The rose colour of the first dress looks incredible on you. Your skin looks like Ivory. Definitely your colour.
I am fascinated by all the beading on these dresses.
I wonder whose job it was to sew them on?

Mrs. Merl

Practically Family
I just wanted to chime in and say this is a spectacular thread. Wonderful content! Please keep it coming! I am now so inspired to work on my twenties projects!

carter

I'll Lock Up
I agree!

Ladies, The items shown in this thread are simply lovely. They are survivors of an era of romance and glamor the like of which we'll never see again. Their preservation is gratifying.

Mojito, Thanks for starting this thread. :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot