Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

1920s vs 1950s

Mathematicus

A-List Customer
It depends, as in both eras there coexisted totally different styles. If you are talking about the older "slim" style of the 20s inherited by the 10s compared to the "continental" fashion of late 50s, then differences are still substantial.

First of all in early 20s you have a generally unpadded shoulder but very close fitting and contoured by stiff chest pieces. Jackets were mostly very close fitting but also rather straight and long in the body. Buttoning point was high and trousers were generally rather close cut all around, the fashion-oriented examples with no break at all.

On the contrary, in the 50s you have a moderately padded shoulder, with minimal extension definitely on the softer side, but chest pieces are nowhere as rigid as earlier. The padding in the chest could be probably considered the only point of contact but it had completely different purposes: in the 20s it was meant to avoid drape at the chest, in the 50s it was meant to make the illusion of a broad chest; also in the 50s jackets were cut slightly nipped in the waist and this, together with padded chest and softly padded shoulders contributed to elongate the silhouette; key points were also the generally low button stance and the sweeping lapels of moderate size (not skinny in general). Trousers also were a lot different, cut generously around the hips and thigs, tapering gently to a medium break.

If I were asked what is my favourite amongst the two - no doubt, I'd go with the 50s.

GHT

I'll Lock Up
How close would you say late 1950s cuts are to 1920s?
Well, if I had to choose which one cuts the mustard, it would have to be the 1920's. The reason is simple, the twenties was a time before The Wall Street Crash, a time of excess, of indulgence. The 1950's was, for North America at least, untouched by the ravages of WW2, a similar time of indulgence, but come the excess, come the vulgarity.
duesenberg.jpg

caddy.jpg

VintageEveryday

A-List Customer
Well, if I had to choose which one cuts the mustard, it would have to be the 1920's. The reason is simple, the twenties was a time before The Wall Street Crash, a time of excess, of indulgence. The 1950's was, for North America at least, untouched by the ravages of WW2, a similar time of indulgence, but come the excess, come the vulgarity.
View attachment 155649
View attachment 155648
Im talking about suits

GHT

I'll Lock Up
As far as men's suits and other garment fashions go, both the 1920's and the 1950's were heavily influenced by the previous decade. That's because there was a war in the second and fifth decade of the twentieth century. The military required uniforms, so manufacturers of garments responded, starving the domestic market in the process.

The demobilised military took to a previous era come civilian wear once more. But the one single factor of the 20's as opposed to the 50's is that people in the 50's had learned from the Wall Street Crash, they were far more wary of profligacy. Styles did change, but it wouldn't be until the 1960's that, here today gone tomorrow, was the order of the day.

I adore both styles, and would be at great pains to have to choose. Living in today's dumb down generation, I actually wear both, usually to some event or other, but before leaving out, I do love to go last minute shopping in either attire, at my local supermarket. It stops the hub-bub of noise dead.
suits circa 1920's.jpg
suits circa 1950's.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto