Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

1929 Brunswick Radiola 17

Alex Oviatt

Practically Family
Cabinetopen.jpg.html
photo.jpg.html

I just inherited my grandfather's 1929 wireless/gramaphone that is a Bruswick Radiola 17 from 1929 in a beautiful walnut cabinet. I love it--have not plugged it in yet although I am told that it is in perfect working order. Any other collectors of these out there? I must buy some new needles....... Here are two pics, one with the doors closed and one with them open. The top lifts up for the turntable although it is soon to have a small Christmas tree put on it so it may stay closed for the holidays.

vitanola

I'll Lock Up
Yes. The set is a 1928 model, made perhaps as early as the last quarter of '27.

These sets are quite robust, and seldom suffer from the condenser failure which plagues slightly later sets. Even so, the installation of a "dim bulb" series resistor is advisable, so that in the event that ne of the filter condensrs shorts it won't take the power transformer along with it.

These Brunswick Panatropes are fairly scarce, but despite their attractiveness they don't seem to receive appropriate respect from either radio or phonograph cllectors, more's the pity.

Alex Oviatt

Practically Family
Wow--you sure know your stuff. Thanks, will look into the DB resistor. Will have to wait until January as a small Christmas tree--with icicles and vinatge lights--is now in place for the duration!

vitanola

I'll Lock Up
The "dim bulb" is naught more than a light socket wired in series with the set. A 150 wat bulb screwed into the socket should just glow, and allow perhaps 110volts to the set's power transformer. Should a component short, however, the bulb will glow brightly, but it will limit cthe current in the circuit to a safe amount. This is not an ideal situation, but I advise it in cases where an eighty year old set which may not have been restored is put in to use by a person who is not an experienced technician. The use of a dim bulb can save an awful lot of grief!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo