Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

1930's 'The Lone Ranger' Remake

Leesensei

One of the Regulars
Whoever they cast in the role of the Lone Ranger will have some pretty big shoes to fill!

5329_1035383663399_1789680445_74477.jpg

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
Jedburgh OSS said:
The forgettable 1981 flick starring an unknown with the unforgettable name of Klinton Spilsbury flopped something fierce. As good as Christopher Lloyd is (Reverend Jim, Dr. Emmett Brown) he wasn't right for Butch Cavendish. With a budget of $18 million (quite a bit 27 years ago) it had a lot going for it. Spilsbury's voice was even redubbed by James Keach, Stacy's brother and Jane Seymour's husband. BTW, when I was a kid I got to meet Clayton Moore, THE Lone Ranger like Sean Connery is THE James Bond. He came to a shopping center in Indy for an autograph and photo session. He was a straight-arrow upstanding guy just like the character he portrayed. A nay vote for Adam Beach as Tonto.

Clayton Moore so much wanted to play the lead in that film, or at least play him passing on his silver bullets to the "new" Lone Ranger. Foolishly, the producers wouldn't even agree to the latter...And here is the classic TV theme song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IM-5tTLz9_E&feature=related

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
So Armie Hammer is gong to be playing John Reid/The Lone Ranger. Should prove interesting. 25 years old, I've never heard his voice so I can't weigh in on his presence for the character. All I have to go on are the old Radio shows I've heard in the past.
Johnny Depp as Tonto. I can buy that.
MV5BMTU0NzIwNDg0Ml5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNzA2MTE1Nw@@._V1._SY317_CR118,0,214,317_.jpg

Cheers!

Dan

Espee

Practically Family
I saw many episodes of the TV reruns when I was a kid, and I've heard many of the old radio shows over the last 35+ years.
An episode of the retro-sitcom Happy Days featured "... John Hart (TV's 'Lone Ranger')..."
I've never run into the story behind Clayton Moore's absence for part of the run, and the substition of Hart. Was it just about money?

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Here's another article, commenting on the trailer. Looks . . . intriguing. As a kid who was raised on Clayton Moore and Jay Silverheels, I'm VERY protective of MY idea of the Lone Ranger. His origin myth is almost as sacrosanct as Superman's (intentional irony there). But what I've been seeing and reading so far makes me retain an open mind on the issue.
http://www.eonline.com/news/350924/...-learned-about-johnny-depp-armie-hammer-flick

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
I think I've read somewhere comments to the effect that the William Tell Overture will NOT be used in this. That would be a TRAVESTY. Let's hope they do the right thing. Just THINKING about it has made the thing start playing over and over in my head, and having watched hundreds of LR episodes in my life, I know the overture note for note. It's playing VERY LOUDLY in my head right now.

being a Depp fan and seeing how this is a "reboot" version of The Lone Ranger, I almost hope they don't use it. I don't think that they can ever expect it to be the iconic presentations of our youth, but a homage story to the man behind the mask. similar to the Green Hornet and all of these other remakes they have been doing the last 4 years.

m0nk

One Too Many
I have always had mixed feelings about Depp's performances. Sometimes he's a tad over-the-top, like he's trying too hard. I like his more reserved performances, such as The Ninth Gate, Chocolat, Public Enemies, and The Tourist, and while I somewhat enjoyed the first and the last of the Pirates movies, at times I was a little annoyed with him. So... not sure how I feel about his bird hat; I can only hope that the over-the-top costuming isn't a sign of what's to come with this one...

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
Here's another article, commenting on the trailer. Looks . . . intriguing. As a kid who was raised on Clayton Moore and Jay Silverheels, I'm VERY protective of MY idea of the Lone Ranger. His origin myth is almost as sacrosanct as Superman's (intentional irony there). But what I've been seeing and reading so far makes me retain an open mind on the issue.
http://www.eonline.com/news/350924/...-learned-about-johnny-depp-armie-hammer-flick

I too love the iconic image of the Clayton Moore and Jay Silverheels 1940's-50' iconic imagery of the Lone Ranger as much as the next guy, but I think that it is time to reinvent the image. That's not such a bad thing since "most" people out there I think would laugh at the old image of the Ranger & Tonto if they were portrayed in that familiar sky blue and buckskin costuming of the late 40's early 50's.
Take The Legend of The Lone Ranger in 1981. That was generally ill received by the public.
Now, I may be wrong, but change in imagery isn't always a bad thing. I figure, as long as they keep the spirit, the origins and the idea intact The costuming & the look is second. Besides, when reading the books I never really pictured either one as they were portrayed on TV. I let my own imagination shape their looks. I for one am willing to gibe this one a chance and I think that it will do justice to the characters and the story.

At least they have the white hat.
The-Lone-Ranger-04.jpg

Cheers!

Dan

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy