Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

1930's vintage Ad - backlit wooden boxframe

Rhofal

New in Town
Hello all,

I'd like to share my most recent acquisition with you. It is an advertissement display that was one of a set of four in a shop in Antwerp, Belgium back in the 1930's.

It is in fact a kind of wooden box (think of a cross between a small stereo speaker and a cigar humidor) with two lamp bulbs serving as a backlight for the picture of a woman and child.

The store sold corsetterie, so the picture itself is a woman in corset. But since the pose is in good taste I hope nobody will be offended if I post the pictures.

30s_ad1.JPG

Pic 1 with backlight switched off.

30s_ad2.JPG

Pic 1 with backlight switched on.

The other 3 displays from the set were broken by movers and beyond salvation. I will try to make better (and a bit larger) pictures of the "mechanism" later on.

Cheers,
Peter

Vintage Betty

My Mail is Forwarded Here
These look very cool! Can you possibly post bigger pics?

I'm so sorry about your other three items being damaged.

Thanks for posting ~

Vintage Betty

Rhofal

New in Town
I'm glad you ladies like the item too. I will post bigger and better pictures on saturday.

Vintage Betty: the set was broken in the shop, before I bought mine (still, such a shame really).

I bought it off ebay but went and met the sellers, an older couple. The wife's mother passed away recently and they are now sorting out all of the things they inherited. The seemed to like me while I visited them and they promised to keep me updated on more items for sale soon. That good impression must be the style and good manners of the other Loungers rubbing off, surely ;)

Cheers,
Peter

Rhofal

New in Town
Some extra pictures

By popular request*

Two extra pictures, still taken with my cheap digital camera and not under ideal lighting...

retroad1-vi.jpg

Frontal view.

retroad2-vi.jpg

Opened box. Note the blemishes in the red rectangle...

As you can see the image is a bit blistered from ageing. I'm in two minds now on what to do. My father used to be a very good photographer and took lots of extra classes on retouching and restauration of old pictures. But it's been a while (over 20 years) since he last did any retouching and his hand is not as steady anymore as it used to be. So I'm thinking of keeping the picture as it is.

As soon as I have some spare time I'm probably going to make myself a few extra boxes like this one; they make beautiful showcases for vintage (or artificially aged) photographs

Cheers,
Peter

* Well, requested by ladies, and those are popular with me ;)

Absinthe_1900

One Too Many
You can scan the image, re-touch it in Photoshop, and have a new image printed on Duratrans for display, and save the original for archival storage.

We us a lot of Duratrans images in the Trade show business.

Rhofal

New in Town
Thank you very much!

Absinthe_1900 said:
You can scan the image, re-touch it in Photoshop, and have a new image printed on Duratrans for display, and save the original for archival storage.

We us a lot of Duratrans images in the Trade show business.

Wow, Thanks Absinthe_1900, that is a great tip! :eusa_clap

Cheers,
Peter

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24