Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

1939 IRT World's Fair Brochure

Dixon Cannon

My Mail is Forwarded Here
1939 World's Fair

My Borsalino hat pin is the "Spirit of New York World's Fair 1939". That was the name Howard Hughes gave to his 'Round the World' Lockheed Electra airplane. The World's Fair sold these pins during the duration of the exhibition. I have a second that I keep on display in mint condition, still attached to the card. Let me scan it and I'll show it off!
-dixon cannon

Feraud

Bartender
I would love to see it!
My wife is a World's Fair fan and has an ornamental plate.
I will try to find a picture and post it. Maybe we can turn this thread into a World's Fair show & tell. ;)

Dixon Cannon

My Mail is Forwarded Here
"Spirit of New York Worlds Fair 1939"

http://www.websyte.com/alan/nywf.htm
Feraud said:
I would love to see it!
My wife is a World's Fair fan and has an ornamental plate.
I will try to find a picture and post it. Maybe we can turn this thread into a World's Fair show & tell. ;)

9f55d297.jpg

Here is the HRH Lockheed Electra 14 that flew 'round the world in 1938. That was quite a feat for it's day and set a standard for post-war world-wide air transportation. The airplane, named "The Spirit of New York World's Fair 1939", depicted on this pin, commemorated the flight and promoted the exhibition.

There is also a wonderful color video of the 1939 World's Fair, narrated by Jason Robards who toured the fair with his family a youngster. It is an amazing thing to observe how optimistic of the future they were. However, before the year was out, Hitler had invaded Poland and the optimism faded as the world plunged headlong into the Second World War.

-dixon cannon

a site to visit: http://www.websyte.com/alan/nywf.htm

http://history.acusd.edu/gen/Filmnotes/worldoftomorrow.html

http://imdb.com/title/tt0184038/

Wild Root

Gone Home
Ooooh Root like this...

Oh boy! World's Fair!!! I'm a big fan of '39 NY fair and also the Chicago fair of '33 and '34! The Century of Progress was very special! I have collected a few items from these fairs... I have a felt OS styled cap that's red and blue that has on one side printed A Century of Progress: Chicago 1933. On the other side is depicted a few of the pavilions. Second, I have an American Legion meddle from the Century of Progress. Third, I have two tie clasps, one 1933 and a 1934 Chicago Century of Progress clasps; both are art deco to the hilt!
Fourth, I have a 1939 NY World's Fair souvenir pin-back that is orange and blue with a white Trylon and Perisphere. I also have a pamphlet with the same colors and logo... it's really cool!

I love these two fairs! I don't know what it is about them but the idea of walking around large fairgrounds that are mostly art deco or streamlined is something I've dreamed about many times!

This is the official flag of the fair... found it on the net.
us_wf39.gif

=WR=

Wild Root

Gone Home
BUMP!

Well fine ladies and gents, I dug up the camera and thought I'd show off my
'39 stuff.

First is a grouping of the three items... my authentic brochure, my visitor pin back and a very handsome collar bar that Marc gave me!

lounge5de5.jpg

Now, a semi close up of just the collar bar on an inside page of the brochure. I tried 10 times to zoom in on it but it was so blury... this is the best. FYI, it does read (New York 1939 - World's Fair) on the front between each little "Trylon and perisphere"

lounge7sc5.jpg

Now, the back cover.

lounge6ax1.jpg

Enjoy my 1939 tribute!

=WR=

Feraud

Bartender
Edit:
Very nice Wild Root! I especially like the collar bar. :)
Here is a picture of our World's Fair ashtray.
Picture5375.jpg

The item looks less tarnished in person than the picture shows.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnmichael