Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

1940?Ǭ¥s US Navy chambray shirt-comparison

daddy-o

One of the Regulars
Long time no see friends, christmas is upon us and as usual no time to spare.
My question is about US Navy chambray shirts. I was rather taken aback by the Buzz Rickson US Navy shirt and ordered it. It is steep at 65gbp from eastman leather but they messed up the order and Santa will not bring anything at all. Now I found a Navy shirt repro from WW2 impressions ( and at 60USD cheaper than the BR shirt) and wondered whether any of you good folks have seen it or have it and can perhaps comment on it. Will it be of a high standard like the Buzz Rickson one?
What is the cut like ? The fabric and colour ? There just aint nothing like
a good chambray shirt to go with yer Dockers or Bill?Ǭ¥s Khakis is there ?
Does anybody have another tip for a good 1940?Ǭ¥s style chambray/navy shirt ?
Have a swinging christmas all!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
I have a couple of USN Chambray shirts- probably '70s or later- they're fine.
All cotton, patch chest pockets with button(no flap). I bought them at a crap vintage shop in London for peanuts but they're a perfectly serviceable
vintage style- maybe the collar is a little different but then the WW2 ones didn't have a fashionable collar.
I also have the BR one:) , it's pretty dern fine...
OLD Chambray is differentfrom contemporary.
I also have WW2 Impressions' USN blue denimDungarees- the fit and cut is tres vintage.

Merry Christmas!

B
T

daddy-o

One of the Regulars
thanks for your reply. I think I go for the WW2 impressions shirt. The BR is just too dear and the WW2impressions shirt does look ok on the web site at least.

nightandthecity

Practically Family
I've had originals off ebay for a pittance - these were WW2 and 1950s ones. I have also had originals from the 60s and 70s made to basically the same pattern but the chambray is not as good. In the 70s they changed the pattern altogether and went over to a particularly disgusting polycotton. I haven't seen the BR: I would imagine its excellent but an original will still be cheaper if you can put the time and effort into searching....unless you're a giant of course!

daddy-o

One of the Regulars
OK folks, you talked me into it. I will go for the Buzz shirt better be safe than sorry. Darn shame everything I like and desire is just soooo dear. You just gotta look at it. The jeans have to be LVC?Ǭ¥s ( 1933 my favourites), leather?Ǭ¥s gotta be Aero or Eastman, Chinos gotta be Bill?Ǭ¥s or K-1, shoes either Red Wings or ultra expensive 40?Ǭ¥s or 50?Ǭ¥s japanese or english repros, hawaiian shirts I can?Ǭ¥t go past Sun Surf brand and that?Ǭ¥s just the new stuff. If I go on ebay you can bet the gab jacket I will like will be starting at 200 bucks.......Man I had a dream a few days ago I was shopping in the early 50?Ǭ¥s in the States and ended up with a car load of gear and then I woke up......
have a nice christmas all you hepsters......

nightandthecity

Practically Family
BellyTank said:
All vintage chambray shirts on eBay seem to command big prices- Navy or otherwise-

B
T
depends how much (hic) effort (hic) youm[ut] in old boy......merry chrisatmas...i have several ooff ebay none dcost mopren than ?Ǭ£15 Brit less than (hic) the modern ashite.......
both USN and civuilia\n (hic) god bless ebay
TYr searcjing for CHAMBRE and CHambrey and SHAMBRAY etc

I say...pull yourself together....

Ebay is full of mid 20th century civilian and USN chambrays and most never even sell. I have bought several, mint or near mint, cheapest about ?Ǭ£5 incl. post, most expensive about ?Ǭ£15.

hic

nightandthecity

Practically Family
Slight change of subject...

Anyone seen those Sugarcane (Buzz R) DENIM (not chambray) work shirts? http://historypreservation.com/hpassociates/sugarcane_2.php http://historypreservation.com/hpassociates/sugarcane_2.phpThe ones on the HPA/Eastman USA site had me salivating...normally I only buy original period gear but period lightweight denim (as opposed to heavy denim and chambray) seems non-existant....

What I really mean is ARE THEY AS STUNNING AS THE PIX? plus I DON'T WANT to pay their price!!!!!!! Gary E is an old friend but he reckons he can't get them any cheaper than HPA. Surely someone must know a source that has them for less?

MudInYerEye

Practically Family
I bought a few of the chin-strapped, scalloped yoke Sugar Cane shirts from HPA earlier this year. Beautiful stuff. The pattern is based on an old Montgomery Ward design (I've come across several originals). They are my favorite shirts.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24