Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mister Freedom sizing

Abe.Murray

New in Town
Hello all.
This is my first post and I’m afraid not a very happy one. I came here to vent about MF.
You see, this brand has always had a sentimental aspect to me. When I was a university student and J.Crew first featured the naval tailor chambray shirt with the contrasting lining, special pockets , and extender tab, I was in love .
I would periodically browse the MF website and dream of a future where I could wear this beautiful stuff, made of such lovely fabrics whos chatacter jumped off the page.
After all these years , I found a very good condition of white MF naval tailor shirt for a decent price on eBay . The seller even accepted my offer. I was thrilled.
I wear a size 40r sports coat, so a medium in most US brands fits me. This shirt was a large.
Imagine my surprise when it turned out to be so tight that it bunches up along the placket , leaving big glimpses of either my undershirt or my skin.
Lesson learned , I thought .MF must run small, and I’ll wear this shirt under jackets in the fall.
I found another good deal on a like-new, blue version of the same shirt in XL. It arrived and I put it on.
Somehow it’s even tighter in the chest, only longer in the sleeves and body. It’s the most unflatteringly fitting shirt I’ve ever put on, which is a shame because the details and fabric are so unique.
As my mother would say, “it covers you everywhere and fits you nowhere”, and even that’s not quite true since my chest and stomach peek out between buttons as the shirt is so tight it looney like the buttons will fly off if I breathe.
I can’t imagine who this shirt would fit. Im tall and thin myself , but it’s both far too tight and much too long. The gentleman would have to be over 6’4 while even thinner than myself for this to fit him, and if I came across him, I’d immediately invite him for a steak because he’d need one.
Ironically, the Chinese repro/homage brands I had been settling for fit me perfectly. They’re very flattering in fit and cut and I think I look my best in a non-stock chambray I got in the spring.
Oh well, china it is , and MF will have to be for under jackets only .

Bfd70

I'll Lock Up
Hello all.
This is my first post and I’m afraid not a very happy one. I came here to vent about MF.
You see, this brand has always had a sentimental aspect to me. When I was a university student and J.Crew first featured the naval tailor chambray shirt with the contrasting lining, special pockets , and extender tab, I was in love .
I would periodically browse the MF website and dream of a future where I could wear this beautiful stuff, made of such lovely fabrics whos chatacter jumped off the page.
After all these years , I found a very good condition of white MF naval tailor shirt for a decent price on eBay . The seller even accepted my offer. I was thrilled.
I wear a size 40r sports coat, so a medium in most US brands fits me. This shirt was a large.
Imagine my surprise when it turned out to be so tight that it bunches up along the placket , leaving big glimpses of either my undershirt or my skin.
Lesson learned , I thought .MF must run small, and I’ll wear this shirt under jackets in the fall.
I found another good deal on a like-new, blue version of the same shirt in XL. It arrived and I put it on.
Somehow it’s even tighter in the chest, only longer in the sleeves and body. It’s the most unflatteringly fitting shirt I’ve ever put on, which is a shame because the details and fabric are so unique.
As my mother would say, “it covers you everywhere and fits you nowhere”, and even that’s not quite true since my chest and stomach peek out between buttons as the shirt is so tight it looney like the buttons will fly off if I breathe.
I can’t imagine who this shirt would fit. Im tall and thin myself , but it’s both far too tight and much too long. The gentleman would have to be over 6’4 while even thinner than myself for this to fit him, and if I came across him, I’d immediately invite him for a steak because he’d need one.
Ironically, the Chinese repro/homage brands I had been settling for fit me perfectly. They’re very flattering in fit and cut and I think I look my best in a non-stock chambray I got in the spring.
Oh well, china it is , and MF will have to be for under jackets only .
Welcome to TFL. Here’s what you’ll learn if you spend some time browsing the clothing threads. Never buy a non returnable garment without exact measurements ideally verified by photos of the measurements You’ll learn that with most brands sizes such as s,m,L, xl, or “40 reg” are completely meaningless. Take an existing good fitting shirt, measure pit to pit, rear shoulder, sleeve, back length, and then compare to the item you are purchasing.

Abe.Murray

New in Town
Thanks and you’re right , of course.

I just couldn’t imagine why they’d make it longer as the sizes go up while keeping the chest just as narrow. Whoever this shirt fits would be pretty unhealthy
Welcome to TFL. Here’s what you’ll learn if you spend some time browsing the clothing threads. Never buy a non returnable garment without exact measurements ideally verified by photos of the measurements You’ll learn that with most brands sizes such as s,m,L, xl, or “40 reg” are completely meaningless. Take an existing good fitting shirt, measure pit to pit, rear shoulder, sleeve, back length, and then compare to the item you are purchasing.

mullitt

Familiar Face
I agree that their shirts can be cut very oddly. Obviously when you buy online you need to look at measurements closely, but it is kinda frustrating when bigger sizes don't seem to scale in the way you think they should.
What's odd is I find the Mister Freedom jackets cut too generously most of the time. The shirts I have are all very slim.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner