Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

1940-50's Horsehide thickness

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Any ideas if those early jackets were 2.5oz or 3, or even 3.5oz? I have a feeling that many of our vintage repos use a much heavier horse than the originals. I understand that A2's were 3oz, wouldn't the civilian utility jackets be about that too? I'm thinking about those Sears jobs, Hercules, Californians etc.

Last edited:

Mojo1975

Sponsoring Affiliate
Any ideas if those early jackets were 2.5oz or 3, or even 3.5oz? I have a feeling that many of our vintage repos use a much heavier horse than the originals. I understand that A2's were 3oz, wouldn't the civilian utility jackets be about that too? I'm thinking about those Sears jobs, Hercules, Californians etc.

First, it depends on the brand. After that, it depends on the production date of the jacket. However, I can assure you that many original early halfbelts / sportswear jackets were made with 3 to 3.5 oz. leather, and they are truly something to behold!

www.insurrectionvintage.com
www.insurrection-racing.com

GoodTimesGone

One of the Regulars
I currently own two vintage Sears Hercules jackets that are the same model except one is seal brown and one is russet. They are both heavy yet supple leather. I would guess 3.5 oz. I sold a Sears Hercules on ebay last year that was much lighter horsehide. I also sold a Californian last year that was heavy horsehide. In the past I've owned a couple of Grais jackets that were heavy horsehide. I could go on but to sum it up nearly all of the vintage civilian horsehide jackets I've seen were heavier horsehide. I don't think the current jacket makers are using horsehide that is too heavy when it comes to making civilian repros. I have heard that U.S. Authentic uses a heavier horsehide than original A-2s, but can't confirm that since I've only owned one in goat. The three Eastmans I've owned in the past were an accurate weight.

D

Deleted member 16736

Aero uses leather that I find too heavy and not authentic except maybe for the 1920's Barnstormer-style jacket. I would say, therefore, that their FQHH leather is suitable for the Barnstormer model, which is a late fall/winter coat basically. For anything requiring more movement, I would look to a lighter weight, something 3.5 oz at most. Horsehide doesn't need to be 4+ oz. It's just fine at a lighter weight. In fact, I was shocked by how hefty and warm my GW A-2 was, and that hide was no more than 3.25 oz. with just a cotton lining. I wore it down to freezing and was perfectly comfortable.

If you want an Aero jacket, check out their mid-weight hides. I very much liked their russet jerky and felt it would make a good leather for a vintage reproduction jacket.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sillyrib

Familiar Face
the heavy fqhh horween leather that aero uses is 4+ oz. I have never seen this thickness hide in any of the vintage models I have had with the exception of an old windward and I have seen a buco j22 type model that appeared very thick although I think this style jacket was often made with thicker horse. The thickness is fine once it is broken in but will never drape like a thinner jacket. So I think the style is an important factor when deciding on thickness. Also the weight is a consideration. A trench or longer coat in fqhh would be very heavy and uncomfortable I would think. I have a very heavy fqhh aero longshoreman(4.5oz?) that I never wear because it feels like I am wearing a suit of armor and I have too many options to wear it everyday for a year to break it in. I dont know if its just me but I think the brown jackets are a little more maliable than the black ones. Maybe part of the tanning process or maybe just luck of the draw?

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails