Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

1940s Tuxedo/Dinner Jacket--42R/43R

Orgetorix

Call Me a Cab
Haven't gotten your outfit for the Queen Mary event yet? Black-tie holiday parties coming up? Now is your chance to own an outstanding 1940s vintage tuxedo that will help you look like a million bucks.

This is a beautiful black 1940s one-button shawl-lapel tuxedo/dinner jacket with black silk grosgrain facings and trouser stripe. It was made by Rudofker for After Six sometime between 1939 and 1949, as evidenced by the 1939 union tag. Jacket has two double-besom pockets and an upper welt breast pocket. Skeleton lining with beautifully finished taped seams. High armholes as one would expect from a jacket of this era, and three nonfunctional buttons on each sleeve.

Trousers are high-waisted with a double snap closure and CON-MAR zipper, brace buttons on the inside of the waistband and no belt loops. Two rear hip pockets, one of which buttons, and two on-seam front pockets. No cuffs, of course.

Condition is outstanding. No moth damage, holes, tears, rips, stains, smells, or anything. The only flaw is one small spot where the grosgrain on the lapel has begun to come loose. It could easily be sewn back down by your tailor when you have him do your alterations. I have given the tux a good brushing and de-linting, and it is clean. I have not had it dry cleaned; I'll leave that up to you.

I'm asking $100 shipped in the continental US. PM me if you are interested or have questions.

I estimate size as 42R or 43R; please see measurements to be exact.
Jacket:
Chest: 47"
Waist: 42"
Shoulders: 20"
Length from bottom of collar: 30.5"
Sleeve length: 24" plus 2" to let down

Trousers:
Waist: 36" plus 2.5" to let out
Outseam: 43.5"
Inseam: 31" plus 2" to let down
Circumference at the hem: 20"

Lacking a mannequin, I put it on to take pictures--though the jacket is obviously too large for me.

DSC00479.jpg
DSC00480.jpg
DSC00482.jpg
DSC00487.jpg
DSC00484.jpg
DSC00486.jpg
DSC00488.jpg
DSC00493.jpg

Spot where grosgrain is coming loose

DSC00494.jpg

DSC00498.jpg

1939 copyright union tag