Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

1950s Grenfell Cloth shooting/hiking jacket

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
H.Johnson said:
Exactly - there is 'nylon' and there are other plastics.
Incidentall, I've never seen an all-plastic RiRi on a Grenfell jacket, has anyone else? Usually they are the metal track and slider/puller with the plastic-covered feed at on the er.... male end.

This jacket's RiRi has metal slider/puller/stop box- all the rest is plastic,
track/"male end"...

But it's not a Grenfell jacket AFAIK.

I'm a big Denison smock fan.
Some of the Belgian smocks are very close,
in construction and camo pattern.
There is quite a variety.

B
T

pipvh

Practically Family
How about adding to this thread, Pip?
Right-o.

The perfect walking jacket for summer: I'm torn between the late pattern Denison smock and something based on the British Army officer's KD tunic of WW2 (actually I'm thinking of a relative's Aertex tunic circa 1947 - the best 'safari jacket' I've ever worn). Ideally the jacket should not be too long, have four outside pockets, preferably bellows, big enough to take a sandwich, a dog lead, a map and whatever else you need when you can't be bothered to take a rucksack with you; a full-length zip or at least four buttons and a chin-strap; storm cuffs, knitted or otherwise. No velcro. A good degree of mobility, ie well-designed arm-holes. It should be of some natural material, breathable yet windproof and providing some fairly high degree of water resistance for showers, and a second layer for when a pullover anorak goes on top. It should be light enough to roll up and stuff in a rucksack. I think the tunic would be cool and comfortable, yet would impress the upland inhabitants (sheep, the odd pony) with its style. On the other hand, in the Denison, no-one would call you Crocodile Dundee when you stagger into the pub at journey's end. Colour-wise, no camouflage, no neon. I fancy good old khaki.

Meanwhile, I can't really fault my Barbour International at this time of year. It's windproof, can be belted to further improve the insulation, has lots of pockets and looks purposeful. I wore it the other day (over a couple of layers of wool) in an icy wind at 1500 feet on Dartmoor when it was blowing so hard I could barely stand up, and I was warm as toast.

That's it so far...

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
pipvh said:
I expect you all saw this - rather annoyed that I missed it. A private purchase M-421 USMC jacket in Grenfell Cloth, made by Deacon of Canada:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300387928988

I'm not sure if this really is an M-421 - from what little I know (and it's mostly from looking at Japanese repros online), they had a half-belt and no side buckles. But it's a nice, functional jacket, and Grenfell Cloth to boot...

Hm- same company as made my WWII E-1 flight suit jacket.

H.Johnson

One Too Many
It wasn't your fault - I blame Miss Haversham.

I agree about the knitted cuffs. There are several types of Belgian drop smock. The one I am using is the less common, with single press-studs on the pocket flaps and cuff straps. They are very like the WW2 British smock apart from the 'jigsaw' pattern.

I was inspired to do this after using the same method (pattern taken from a cheap original) from a 1960s Dutch field jacket. You know, the common one with the slanted pockets, lapels and double cuff straps. I've kind of admired these since I wore one to a Bob Dylan concert in Manchester in 1965. I did this in a lightweight ventile-type cotton (no label) with a Silesia cotton lining. It makes a great little walking jacket and overcomes most of the drawbacks of the Dutch jacket (too heavy, too bulky for packing, slow drying, unneccessary features, etc).

I'm out of fabric at the moment and searching for some decent ventile-type cotton. WRT to smock production, my pattern is to fit me (36" chest). I hadn't really thought about making anymore. I guess it depends on the availability of fabric.

pipvh said:
Yes, I was in Great Expectations, though naturally I failed to live up to them.

That is passing strange indeed. Right down to the knitted cuffs - got to have 'em. Ever the obscurantist, what I really like are the first pattern smocks that were customized at the time with a full zip (I can't rationally defend this). Is your Ventile(R) Denison going to be a limited run of one, dare one ask?

Meanwhile, I think I'm going to start a 'perfect walking jacket' thread.

pipvh

Practically Family
Say what you like about Miss Haversham: she had a way with vintage...

I think my para smock was the 1958(?) pattern, but I can't remember. Does yours have the cape-like back?

I'm very tempted to buy another one - there seem to be lots around - but I've discovered that I always feel a bit silly walking around in camo these days (though I would make an exception for Extreme Outdoor Clothing's Where Eagles Dare anorak, on the grounds that, if it's good enough for Mr Burton, it's good enough for me - mid-life crisis, perhaps?).

Speedbird

A-List Customer
Where Eagles Dare

pipvh said:
(though I would make an exception for Extreme Outdoor Clothing's Where Eagles Dare anorak, on the grounds that, if it's good enough for Mr Burton, it's good enough for me - mid-life crisis, perhaps?).

Is this still available? I spotted an ad in Gun Mart I think in about 2002 and had a fabric swatch and product info sent to me, but I decided I couldn't afford £200 + on what I convinced myself was basically a splinter pattern German parka. I have seen it mentioned here more than once now so I guess I must have been very wrong. I still can't afford one, but is there an active website to ogle? :p

Speedbird

A-List Customer
Do not go quietly into the night...

.. but rage against the dying of the light!

you have got it bad haven't you Pip? Me too ... mid-life crisis - I thought we were supposed to want Porsches and girlies half our age ... not obscure camo jackets and cadet anoraks and boots that actually hurt our feet???

Where did it all go so wrong????

Speedbird

A-List Customer
Help with Harris Tweed anyone?

sorry I know:eek:fftopic: I can't operate the search engine here - it always just seems to throw up hundreds of posts and threads that happen to contain any of the words I search. I am sure I am supposed to use some kind of 'bolean operators' (if that's the right term) but I have been unsuccessful!

Anyway, this might be of interest to Pip, Creeping Past, HJ, BT and other regular posters hereabouts.

I have a Harris Tweed; it's nice, it needs a new home but I need to remove some candlewax from the sleeve if possible without damaging the wool.

Anyone point me in the right direction?

Creeping Past

One Too Many
Speedbird said:
sorry I know:eek:fftopic: I can't operate the search engine here - it always just seems to throw up hundreds of posts and threads that happen to contain any of the words I search. I am sure I am supposed to use some kind of 'bolean operators' (if that's the right term) but I have been unsuccessful!

Anyway, this might be of interest to Pip, Creeping Past, HJ, BT and other regular posters hereabouts.

I have a Harris Tweed; it's nice, it needs a new home but I need to remove some candlewax from the sleeve if possible without damaging the wool.

Anyone point me in the right direction?

I find Google's best for searching the Lounge. It's also good for if you want to search for removing candle wax from clothing.
:rolleyes: ;)

pipvh

Practically Family
Kitchen towel, iron? Place kitchen towel over wax, place hot iron on kitchen towel. Wax melts and towel wicks it away. Always works for me.

Methuselah

One of the Regulars
I use the same principal as Pipvh, but with brown paper.
(the only thing that Habitat carrier bags are useful for, as they're no good as actual carrier bags)

Speedbird

A-List Customer
candlewax and all that...

I shall certainly give it a go ...

now about this thread... it started with a rare find by Pip that passd to CP ... did it fit or is it back in circulation...???

I've been thread surfing lately and sort of wish I hadn't ... sticking to humble anoraks, old rucksacks and vintage boots seems a gentler pastime... :eek:

Creeping Past

One Too Many
Excellent garment, 'pivot-esque' sleeve and all.

All it needs is a nicely faded/distressed authentic-looking belt.

There's only one man in England who'll know where to find something same/similar. I hope he'll be along soon...

Speedbird

A-List Customer
Any chance of a photo CP?

And previously, you wrote about the Kentish Vintage Walkers and their varying degree of vintageness... I was wondering whether they might still be worth looking up? I only live over the hill so to speak fom Kent, but Kent is a big county, so that doesn't mean very much. I suppose what I am really wondering is if anyone regularly meanders around Shooters Hill type area on a Sunday afernoon. And knows a good pub.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot