Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

2-Ply Hat Band

Landman

One Too Many
Does anybody know a source for the basic 2-Ply hat bands put on most cowboy hats? I need to replace some black and silver 2-Ply bands on some old hats and would like to do it myself if I can find some of it. I can easily find grosgrain ribbon but am having trouble finding the 2-Ply band. Thanks for your help.

Landman

One Too Many
Thanks for the info.

What is the proper name of that type of ribbon? I have done numerous searches on the internet and can't seem to find anything similar to it. I found 1/4" grosgrain ribbon but it is not the same as the 2-Ply type ribbon found on most western style hats.

Landman

One Too Many
Thanks again. "Cord" makes more sense than "Ply".

I'd love to find some of the 3-cord ribbon. I think that really looks great on older hats.

Kopfhanger

New in Town
Hello guys, I am also looking for it and none of these names gets me any where. If anyone figured out what to look for and what to call them unordered to search for those type of cords please let me know.

Hello guys, I am also looking for it and none of these names gets me any where. If anyone figured out what to look for and what to call them unordered to search for those type of cords please let me know.
I have a bunch I picked up from Tim @purebeaver on Instagram. You could buy it by the yard or made up into hat ribbons. A bit pricey but under $20 each.

You might try Hatters Supply House out of Colorado. They have a new ribbon source and they may sell 2ply in small amounts.

Kopfhanger

New in Town
I have a bunch I picked up from Tim @purebeaver on Instagram. You could buy it by the yard or made up into hat ribbons. A bit pricey but under $20 each.
Thanks again dude, you got the answers to all my questions. Seems like you were on the same journey before me. I think I will try the ribbon method you told me in another question first since it looks better and cheaper

Thanks again dude, you got the answers to all my questions. Seems like you were on the same journey before me. I think I will try the ribbon method you told me in another question first since it looks better and cheaper
I started my hat making journey about the time Covid hit us. Largely self taught I have used the good old trial and error learning curve. Deconstructing ribbons/bows to see the how of it. And then finding sources for all the materiel.

I have seen some hats with the proper ligne (width) grosgrain ribbon that has been run thru a crimper to resemble a 2-ply or 3-ply. So I figure the real thing must be hard to find.

Kopfhanger

New in Town
It's out there some where with a name, probably used in ranching and horse tackle for a different purpose and a spacific name. I just can not figur it out

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindawalters