Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

20 Obsolete English Words that Should Make a Comeback

MissMittens

One Too Many
I also quote the Statler Brothers and use the phrase 'scarlet woman'

[video=youtube;AifXbzR4JMM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AifXbzR4JMM[/video]

Let's not forget "harlot" :p

What REALLY bothers me is that there aren't really masculine equivalents. Yet for every harlot, there has to be a man who wishes to partake of the offer.........

Very, very true. Even now, there's only one modern connotation I can even think of that I hear used often. As, I just told my buddy (who has 2 gals expecting his child at the same time) it takes two to tango. He always tries to blame the women for it.

Let's not forget "harlot" :p

What REALLY bothers me is that there aren't really masculine equivalents. Yet for every harlot, there has to be a man who wishes to partake of the offer.........

MissMittens

One Too Many
Very, very true. Even now, there's only one modern connotation I can even think of that I hear used often. As, I just told my buddy (who has 2 gals expecting his child at the same time) it takes two to tango. He always tries to blame the women for it.

Of course, it's not his fault, he was just being a man. I hate that kind of thing. There is one word that does come to mind, starts with a d, ends with a k, but that's the only negative connotation i can think of pertaining to a man.

You said it, that's one of the biggest forgotten English words, in my opinion, is Gentleman!

Of course, it's not his fault, he was just being a man. I hate that kind of thing. There is one word that does come to mind, starts with a d, ends with a k, but that's the only negative connotation i can think of pertaining to a man.

MissMittens

One Too Many
You said it, that's one of the biggest forgotten English words, in my opinion, is Gentleman!

Even sadder is the fact that modern women see a Gentleman as boring, somewhat effeminate.

If you ride a Harley, have more tattoos than Kat Von D and drink beer like it's going out of style, slap your woman once in a while, refer to your girlfriend as your "bitch" in public, you'll have no end of girls hitting you up.

If you're nice to your girlfriend, hold doors open, buy her flowers, tell her she's pretty without trying to get her in the sack every time you say it, you're soft, wimpy, not "man enough".

Last edited:

Miss Tuppence

A-List Customer
What about
‘Flibbertigibbet’- A flighty, gossipy, usually a young girl.
‘Scallywag’ and in the same sense ‘Rascal’
‘Guttersnipe’- Street Urchin… All of which I get called.:eek:

I use ‘stinker’ a lot (Didn’t go well- or he/she was unpleasant)…He was a real stinker!
‘Fiddlesticks’- annoyance….

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto