Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

2010 : ALICE IN WONDERLAND

bobalooba

One of the Regulars
Tiller said:
I wonder is this based on American Mcgee's Alice, or is it just Burton's own "twist" on the classic, that just has parallels to the game (maybe not quite macabre as the game though).

universal still has rights to American mcgee's alice and this is Burton's own interperatation, American mcgee's alice has been postponed until further notice as far as I am aware.

bobalooba

One of the Regulars
bobalooba said:
universal still has rights to American mcgee's alice and this is Burton's own interperatation, American mcgee's alice has been postponed until further notice as far as I am aware.

though since these are both dark sequels to the original novels they obviously share qualities, however mcgee's is different in origin as in that game Alice's house is burnt down and when she says it is the jabberwock she is sent to a mental institution.

I'm a huge Alice fan and love reinterperatations/sequels/experimental films (though I believe there is no way you can give the original justice)

:eek:fftopic: That said anyone that is considering it should avoid "the looking glass wars" and all of its sequels.

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
I'm glad you gals like the site! I just love some of the big shots she has found of some of the movies. When Marie Antoinette was coming out, I'd just go and drool over pictures. Hehe.

Lady Jessica

One of the Regulars
I'm surprised you would say that about the Looking Glass Wars, I found them amazing and interesting. And I respect the original works just fine. It's just a reinterpretation and completely different from the original, the original was more of a guiding source than anything else for those books.

In any case, I can't wait to see this movie.. But I don't like what they've done to the Red Queen. She looks so unbalanced... I'm afraid it will bother me in the movie as well, but I guess I'll give it a shot.

bobalooba

One of the Regulars
Lady Jessica said:
I'm surprised you would say that about the Looking Glass Wars, I found them amazing and interesting. And I respect the original works just fine. It's just a reinterpretation and completely different from the original, the original was more of a guiding source than anything else for those books.

My issue with it is that most of the derivative works are either as whimsical as the source material or dark and dismal enough to hold my interest, I think looking glass wars wasn't enough of either and tried to be both.

Lady Jessica

One of the Regulars
bobalooba said:
My issue with it is that most of the derivative works are either as whimsical as the source material or dark and dismal enough to hold my interest, I think looking glass wars wasn't enough of either and tried to be both.

I still don't think you should say that if people have any respect for the original they should stay away. I have high respect for the original and still enjoy it. That's all.

I didn't realize mercury affected skin, either.

bobalooba

One of the Regulars
Lady Jessica said:
I still don't think you should say that if people have any respect for the original they should stay away. I have high respect for the original and still enjoy it. That's all.

what other alice variants/sequels etc. are you fond of?

Lady Jessica

One of the Regulars
oh uh... I don't know. I've got a very open mind so I can't say I dislike any, really. I'm really quite fond of American McGee's. I like dark... Anything dark and eerie makes me feel right at home. I like eerie over in-your-face horror. I really like Burton for that feeling, but I find it elsewhere too.

I don't know if this is a test on my character or just real curiosity.

bobalooba

One of the Regulars
actual curiosity, I don't really know how an interest in a certain book would be a "test of character" barring philisophical and religious books and the like.

Lady Jessica

One of the Regulars
Oh, people usually judge other people based on what they like to read and why. For example, many people who read classic literature judge those who read Twilight. That's all. :)

And what do you like, pertaining to Alice?

bobalooba

One of the Regulars
well I really like american mcgee's as well and I have always been a fan of the B&W 60's bbc film where all the animals and creatures are played by real ppl. I also like the disney version because that is what got me interested in Alice (even though it's certainly not the best).

Lady Jessica

One of the Regulars
Hmm... I've only seen the version with Christopher Lloyd in it... unless I got my movies mixed up. :eek: There was a singing tree and the mock turtle had a song. It was all very strange, although I guess that is to be expected. and I think Gene Wilder(?) was in it too.

Unless I've really got my movies mixed up! The Disney Alice is super cute. I got into it because of McGee, personally. I saw a clip someplace and the dark caught my eye. So I bought the books and it grew from there. Although my fondness for Alice has died down a bit... Not sure why.

bobalooba

One of the Regulars
Never seen that one though I should look into it, I love gene wilder.

My interest in alice always waxes and wanes, it's been on the rise since I saw this movie was coming out.

Lady Jessica

One of the Regulars
Oh me too. I'm hoping it will be what I'm expecting. Which is just... dark and eerie and a little creepy. Or maybe a lot of creepy... Hm. I just hope he does it well.

But in the pictures it looks like Alice is wearing a blue dress like she did as a child... I wonder why that is? An older Alice wouldn't wear a child's dress, would she? Well, unless she got put in it when she got back to Wonderland, but why would that be? That's the only part that bothers me about her.

bobalooba

One of the Regulars
actually that hadn't occured to me but that's a good point, unless her whole reason for getting angry and running away is she doesn't want to grow up, but that sounds way too peter pan-y

Lady Jessica

One of the Regulars
Her reason for running away is that she doesn't want to marry some guy. Apparently she goes to... a party or something and realizes she's going to marry some man, and so she runs off. Then they need her to save Wonderland from... something... I remember I read it, but I wasn't paying much attention to details. :eek:

I saw photos of another of her dresses... it looked much more mature and 'older Alice'.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24