Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

'20s jacket

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
I just won this jacket, which according to the seller, is dated from the early '20s. If the measurements were correct, it should fit.
What exactly would you call this style?
SACK-COATMID1920S.jpg

Josephine

One Too Many
I was thinking with the collar, the long sleeves, the piping-ish decoration, and the "vents" (?) at the sides, it looks Chinese. But with buttons?

dakotanorth

Practically Family
Location of origin?

Tough call, it's definitely a hybrid, as everyone before has collectively stated.
The Mandarin-style collar says Asian. The trim does look like a traditional Bavarian jacket (sorta), but black "lustre" fabric says....?
Hopefully when you get it, it will have a tag of some sort. If not, checking the stitching and other construction details will tell you a lot.
It is kinda cool though, a twist on a smoking jacket perhaps?

The Wingnut

One Too Many
Smoking jacket doesn't seem that unlikely, but the contrasting ribbon on the cuff and the particularly heavy appearance of the construction gives the impression of a uniform item, possibly of a scholastic sort...maybe it's a band uniform? That'd be one sharp looking band.

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
I got it in today. Very interesting. Amazing wool, very soft and fine. Not shiny, as it looks in the pictures. I'm thinking it's masonic or something like that- it has stitch holes on the cuffs, from where patches once were, which are in the shape of crosses. The vent on the left hip is much larger than the vent on the right hip- maybe for a sword?
Looked up the tailor- he was a mason, admitted in 1902, so it stands to reason that the jacket would be masonic.

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
I'm pretty sure it's not a band uniform. I'm leaning fraternal.
It's the outlines of the passion crosses on the sleeves, the masonic tailor, and the fact that the one side vent is so much longer.
Neat feature- the vents have hook and eye closures to keep them shut, I guess when you don't need them?

IMG_4796.jpg

IMG_4794.jpg

IMG_4791.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn