Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

30's makeup

Lancealot

Practically Family
Ladies,

I need some help. My girlfriend does makeup for weddings and has a friend of hers who is doing a 30s themed wedding. She is looking for makeup tips and pictures would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Lancealot

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Lancealot said:
Ladies,

I need some help. My girlfriend does makeup for weddings and has a friend of hers who is doing a 30s themed wedding. She is looking for makeup tips and pictures would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Lancealot

Check the beauty section, thats where all the make up stuff is.

LD

texasgirl

One Too Many
Here's a great little chart:

makeup003.jpg

LisaFreemontSt

One of the Regulars
Hi there. I hope I can help. I recently did two 1930's inspired makeup looks (w/ hair) on my channel. I promised I wasnt going to go and provide links to my vids on EVERY thread...but there is a Greta Garbo and a Jean Harlow here:
Greta Garbo hair/makeup:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HxxZackKcls&feature=PlayList&p=BD14EF8975EDD5F8&index=1

Jean Harlow hair/makeup:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MiaBf2YwNGw&feature=PlayList&p=BD14EF8975EDD5F8&index=2

I hope they help out. I'm not a professional but I watch old movies like my life depends on it!lol

I want to add that the 'arched' eyebrow came around during the 30's and at the beginning of the decasde, brows were more along the lines of the above beauty chart. Around the mid thirties, eyebrows arched DRAMATICALLY. Sometimes the stars shaved their own and drew them on...Greta didnt, evidentally, but Jean certainly did. haha. So a lower or higher brow is equally authentic when going for a 30's look.

Tenuki

One of the Regulars
I knew I wasn't nutty and saw this post but forgot to subscribe to it. I hope no one minds if I bump it so the next gal doesn't have not tug at her pin curls...:D

Tourbillion

Practically Family
Blondie, it depends what you consider a good red. Here is a quote from http://www.return2style.de/swingstyle/makeup/30amimup.html

Up to the middle of the thirties most popular lipstick colors were light rose, raspberry tones, chinese red and orange tones. In the later 30s primarily bright red tones.
The mouth should have full lips with an elongated bow that rounds and flares at the corners. This kind of mouth was called the rosebud mouth, bird mouth, "Crawford Smear" or "Cruller".

I have the Turudich Vintage Makeup book, and the 30's Chinese Red color on the back is virtually indistinguishable from the 50's red. I am thinking that Revlon's Fire and Ice is my new go to red for the 30's. I also wear Besame Carmine for 30's and sometimes Besame Velvet Red.

You didn't mention pink/rose/raspberry and I am still looking for a replacement for mine, though I do wear Cherries in the Snow sometimes too. I know it is 50's too, but the color is about right and the application technique does make a difference.

For the late 30's bright reds it does depend on coloring, but some of the brighter reds that ladies wear for 40's would be appropriate. You didn't mention if you wanted an orange red, neutral red or a blue red, but I am thinking of MAC's Ruby Woo, Russian Red, Besame Red, or even Besame's Red Hot Red (more 50's Grr!). Still, I have Maybelline's Red Revival, and I wear that with just about everything.

Blondie

Practically Family
Thanks Tourbillion,
I think i pretty much have all those reds, except the Revlon one.
I was think a deeper darker red, probably will just go to Sephora and MAC and have a look !! Someone else mentioned a D&G dark 30's red, but i think they are only available at Saks and we don't have one here. Will try googling color swatches for it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk