Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

40's/50's G-1 Jacket: Help to figure out age and spec

AviatorBRZ

Familiar Face
Hi, I've bought an G-1 Jacket to add to my collection, but it have no brand tag anymore. So i wanna know if someone could help me to figure out it's age, specification and contractor.

Well, the jacket is a size 40 or 42. I wear 40 for G-1s and this jacket fit perfectly on my shoulders and chest. The only difference in size from my newers size 40 g-1 jackets and this one is that she have a longer body (around 2 inches).
As you guys can see in the photos it have a one piece collar (USN stamped in collar - hard to see in photos but it's there), mouton collar and goatskin leather. The zipper is a TALON and it was black when was new. Don't have the USN perforated in the wind flap.
The liner, cuffs and waistband are original, no signs at all of re-stitching. As you guys can see the waistband is a single ply model. The inside pocket button is a "klikit" from RAU FASTENER CO.
The metal vents (if was there back then) in underarms are missing, only the holes in the leather are there (no stitching around the holes). No stains at all. But the leather is "cracked" in some areas like over the shoulders and elbows but nothing major. One tiny rip on the leather on the back panel right above the waistband, and another tiny rip on the right under arm area.
The waistband are still in shape with some holes, cuffs and the liner have seen better days, both are broken. Only one tooth missing in the zipper. All original buttons.
The leather is getting hard, need some leather conditioner.

Well i believe it's from 40's or early 50's. If anyone could help to find it's age and find it's specification. Hard to find jacket!? what you guys think?
M-422A ?
AN-6552 ?
55J14 ?

I've found this jacket at a store of vintage stuff in Malaysia.

*The photos were taken before i've made an careful cleaning, so some white spots on the leather are just dirt and dust.

Any help will be much appreciated! Thank you.

g101g.jpg

g102.jpg

g103.jpg

g104.jpg

g105.jpg

g106.jpg

Last edited:

AviatorBRZ

Familiar Face
AN UPDATE!

While i was making a research for some jackets I've found this pictures of an MIL-J-7823(AER) made by J.A. DUBOW SPORTING GOODS CORP.

I think it's looks like the same design. The one piece collar, the design of the pocket flaps, the overall jacket's
design. The only diferences I've noted is that instead a brass TALON zipper, this one uses a niquel CONMAR zipper, and
it have a redish mouton collar instead the yellow/orange from my jacket .

Here some info I've found about the contractor, from: (www.worthpoint.com)

"J.A. Dubow is mostly renowned for its great USAAF A2 flight jackets or for baseball gloves but few people know that it had also one U.S. Navy contract for G-1 jackets in the mid-1950's.
These jackets are fairly rare, so finding an example in good condition is great. The jacket has a number of unique design features: long body and very short sleeves, front leather wrapping around the jacket as an M-422a so that the back is small a small wind flap and pockets that are far from the zipper."

It's describe exaclty the jacket that I have. Longer body, short sleeves, small back and small wind flaps and pockets.
I pretty sure I've found the spec and contractor. :)

What you guys think?

THE PICTURES OF AN J.A. DUBOW SPORTING GOODS CORP. MIL-J-7823(AER)

kgrhqvmee74ibrqbqqpdfk7.jpg

kgrhqjhjeserwmsn7bqqpep.jpg

t2ec16fhjiye9qucnt11bqq.jpg

kgrhqnncfkeycezbqqpdts8.jpg

thor

Call Me a Cab
I'd agree with you; looks like the DuBow G-1 contract jacket. Congrats on a nice find!

AviatorBRZ

Familiar Face
Thank you thor. Everything lead me to believe that is an 7823(AER). If anyone have an DUBOW 7823(AER) jacket I would like to see some photos of it, or if someone have anymore info it will be much appreciated.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jusa80