Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

40's Restoration "The beginning"

James Miller

One of the Regulars
I just won a 40's Horsehide leather jacket. This one is said to to be a size 50-52 we shall see.

I'm posting some pictures so you can see it now and when I'm finished I'll post the after pictures. I really did not need this jacket but.. when it was said to be in size 50-52 I had to go for it. These sizes are hard to find and if the leather is still in good shape I will have a Gem.

Once the jacket arrives from Canada the first thing I'll do is take out the lining and start the hydration process to insure the leather will last another sixty years or "I WISH" but any how it will be a project. I already have the Knits and the nice satin lining. If any one has any Ideas what would look good for a lining fell free to let me know.

http://s266.photobucket.com/albums/ii279/muscle932/?albumview=slideshow

fedoralover

Call Me a Cab
James, I'm very much interested in the process and the materials you use and how you use them. Please, if you have time post the procedures you go through in the restoration process.

regards fedoralover

James Miller

One of the Regulars
Will Do!

fedoralover said:
James, I'm very much interested in the process and the materials you use and how you use them. Please, if you have time post the procedures you go through in the restoration process.

regards fedoralover

Fedoralover, I would be happy to. Please keep in mind I'm not a professional.
I only know what works for me.

There is nothing High Tech just a lot of elbow grease and some stained Hands. lol

First I have to receive the jacket in the mail. Once the jacket has arrived I'll start to take all the fabric parts off.

Stay tuned I'll post as I go along. Man I hate to type just can't sit still to long.

deanglen

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Jim, I think this is what you had in mind:
vintage40shorsehide06.jpg

vintage40shorsehide03.jpg

vintage40shorsehide02.jpg

vintage40shorsehide01.jpg

vintage40shorsehide04.jpg

dean

fishmeok

Vendor
James- While you have it apart that would be an excellent jacket to start learning how to copy a pattern. I think it's very impportant to have the actual item sitting next to you when you make a copy- that's how I learned, even simple looking jackets like this one have all sorts of tricks and snags that you won't remember unless the genuine article is sitting right in front of you...
Cheers
Mark

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24