Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

442 Regimental combat team

WolfeMan

One of the Regulars
At the request of 442RCT, i am posting this. He asked me to reaserch the 442RCT in exchange for a generous gift of a jacket, so here is some of what ive learned about them. The unit was comprised of Japanese Americans, mostly from the Hawaiian islands. They landed at Oran, Algeria in september 1943 to guard supply trains, but were attached to the 34th infantry. they sailed with 1,300 men later that month to land at salerno. They obtained their objective of monte milleto and joined the assault on monte cassino. By febuary 1944 they had only 521 men left. They helped defend of the beachhead at anzio until may, then joined the push towards rome. They stopped just 10 miles outside the city.
They did a lot more during the war, but this is just an outline of their early action. 21 medals of honor were awarded to soldiers in the 442d.

Corky

Practically Family
See "Journey of Honor" by Stu Yamane

Check out "Journey of Honor", Stuart Yamane, Producer (2001) KHET Hawaii Public Television.

This documentary is told from Yamane's perspective as he follows a group of 442nd/100th Infantry Japanese Americans on a poignant and emotional reunion tour of many of the battlefields of Italy where the units fought so bravely.

SEE:http://returntothevalley.org/chapter04.html

Minidoakahonorroll.JPG

442RCT

One of the Regulars
Dang, I didn't even know about the later movie, "442nd Go for Broke".
I haven't seen the movie, "Only The Brave", seems it's was in such limited release, the only way you can see it is to buy the DVD direct from the distributor.

I've only seen the post war made b/w movie, "Go For Broke" and a documentary about the 442nd on VHS. I was hoping that "Little Iron Men" would hit the theaters shortly after I saw the trailer posted on the net. [huh]

Thanks for the update.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner