Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

4th of July parades?

p51

One Too Many
Did anyone else here celebrate Independence Day in 40s style? We had a local parade, in Centralia, WA (halfway between Seattle and Portland, Oregon). So far this year, it’s rained on EVERY major event our group has had since last summer. This year was no exception. There’s a old joke about the summer starting here on the 5th of July. That saying was off by only one day as it’s sunny today through to the end of the month. It was cloudy for weeks, so I drove down with the top up and never took it down. Some of the guys in the group really gave me a lot of sarcasm about it. We had 6 WW2 Jeeps, an M-38A1, a M-715, and two M-35s. A group of former defense plant workers during WW2 came along and some rode in our vehicles. They were all ladies, one of whom worked at the Rock-Ola plant, test firing carbines during the war. It was a shame that none of us had any carbines by that company. It would have been neat to have her holding one she might have fired during the war.
Getting ready, we parked all the vehicles along a side street and waited. And of course, it rained. Twice. Thankfully, it didn’t rain again. Some of the guys who were giving me grief for having my top up were scrambling trying to get theirs in place. I’m the guy in the raincoat in this photo, having been the only one who’d thought to bring one.
Paradelineup7-4-10.jpg

The wife of a guy in the group got this shot of me along the back end of the route. Not too many people are at this spot, but there were plenty of people watching the parade elsewhere.
4thParadeLee2010.jpg

The post-parade gaggle. Note the 1941 Cadillac. It led the group in the parade. The car is owned by a female member of the group and she usually dresses in pinks and greens when driving it:
BunchaJeeps.jpg

My 1944 Willys is to the right.
4thLineup.jpg

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I went to the Carnation, WA 4th of July parade - we had a group from the outdoor theater promoting this summer's show (Wizard of Oz) and I went along to tape and take pictures.

Grant Fan

Practically Family
I did I am part of a group called the Pinup Angels and we were in a parade here is an after photo of me in the the truck we rode in
35988_406389414982_504669982_442222.jpg

p51

One Too Many
Davep said:
Huntington Beach Parade (largest Parade West of the Mississippi)
http://picasaweb.google.com/442ndrct/HuntingtonBeachParade2010#slideshow

4762760961_0640e3590f_z.jpg
NICE shots. I really like this one, as I’ve been pushing for our group to have some kind of banner like that. We have nothing saying who were are at all. At the last parade, I had someone just walk up alongside my Jeep and ask if we were the local VFW post. She had a blank look when I replied that we were a WW2 historical group.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner