Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

5* Pilot Bomber Air Force Luftwaffe: any experiences with this one?

Hobbes1

A-List Customer
https://www.fivestarleather.us/prod...car-clicker-coat-russet-brown-premium-leather

Looking to see if anyone has direct experience with this one. Any pro's/con's to the pattern or cut that 5* uses? Anything I should know or be considering when (if) ordering? I'm not new to 5* so I know all about sending many measurements, etc. I'm mostly curious about the cut and pattern they are using for this jacket.

I did search in the 5* megathread but no luck.

Thanks!

Hobbes1

A-List Customer
LOL. For my size, plus shipping would be closer to $250. I've already taken a few shots with them and had mixed results. Prefer to go in armed with all the knowledge I can get.

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
Ok I will bite. I have the winter HB from 5Star and some other longer half belts from bunch of other brands. All these jackets are really is a just another Long(er) Half Belt at heart.

For the 5Star LHB, the false belt needs to be higher. Or if going for the 40's look then the fake belt still needs to be higher just the side cinch placed lower. The current lowered false belt just doesn't work aesthetically for me. Non of my other brands longer half belts are like this.

IMG_6653.JPG

The sleeve on the 5Star is a band aid fix. it has low armholes and aggressive taper at the elbow. Deadly combination for mobility. It's either high armholes slim sleeves throughout or low arm hole and regular sleeve. The hybrid it is now does not work and is not what other jacket makers are doing.

Fix those two issues and get it in thick black goat with a wax press, and under 250 shipped, I think you'll have an awesome jacket. The thing to keep in mind is that, if you look hard enough, there are used Aero / Johnson / Schott longer half belts for under 400, and they will come with better materials, and no need to fix any aesthetic issues, except they will be used and may need a little TLC.

Hobbes1

A-List Customer
To be honest, two things. Why these questions if you're not new to Five Star Leather, why not ask Shawn directly and why start a new thread, we already have a Five Star thread where your questions would be better off...

Because, in my experience, posting a random question like this in the megathread may not get any response at all as things sometimes move on quickly and questions may or may not be answered. Second, asking Shawn, also in my experience, is hit or miss due to language barriers, delays (of days) in reply and/or even replying without answering the question that was asked in the first place. I guess you mean well but if you don't like the thread, don't reply. Seems simple to just move on.

Ok I will bite. I have the winter HB from 5Star and some other longer half belts from bunch of other brands. All these jackets are really is a just another Long(er) Half Belt at heart.

For the 5Star LHB, the false belt needs to be higher. Or if going for the 40's look then the fake belt still needs to be higher just the side cinch placed lower. The current lowered false belt just doesn't work aesthetically for me. Non of my other brands longer half belts are like this.

View attachment 490067

The sleeve on the 5Star is a band aid fix. it has low armholes and aggressive taper at the elbow. Deadly combination for mobility. It's either high armholes slim sleeves throughout or low arm hole and regular sleeve. The hybrid it is now does not work and is not what other jacket makers are doing.

Fix those two issues and get it in thick black goat with a wax press, and under 250 shipped, I think you'll have an awesome jacket. The thing to keep in mind is that, if you look hard enough, there are used Aero / Johnson / Schott longer half belts for under 400, and they will come with better materials, and no need to fix any aesthetic issues, except they will be used and may need a little TLC.
This is exactly the kind of information/feedback that I was looking for. Thanks!

58panheadfan

One Too Many
Because, in my experience, posting a random question like this in the megathread may not get any response at all as things sometimes move on quickly and questions may or may not be answered. Second, asking Shawn, also in my experience, is hit or miss due to language barriers, delays (of days) in reply and/or even replying without answering the question that was asked in the first place. I guess you mean well but if you don't like the thread, don't reply. Seems simple to just move on.
All good my friend, absolutely no problem and I can follow your explanations... I just wanted to avoid that the overview gets lost quickly with such steps and the whole thing becomes confusing.

58panheadfan

One Too Many

This is exactly the kind of information/feedback that I was looking for. Thanks!
Looking forward to see the final Jacket ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zonko