Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

60's/70's german horsehide jacket

Edward

Bartender
Nice jacket. I have (a few years ago now, in a surplus store in Berlin) handled several German police leathers, and the quality was superb. While probably of a more recent era, as you note, this one certainly has an earlier period look to my untrained eye. It puts me somewhat in mind of a beltless version of the Aero Barnstormer...

JanSolo

Practically Family
Yep, looks like it's a German police jacket from the early 70s probably 60s. I don't know when they entered service with the German police but they are nice looking and appear to be well made. Northern German company "Krawehl" was one of the original contractors back then. I think they still make the current police leather jacket which is more like an oversized flightjacket with an elasticized leather waistband (*yucky*) and a bold printing on the back .

During the early 90s when I was very much into Alternative/Grunge music I bought one of those from a thrift shop in Münster for 20 Marks. I still have it and I sometimes wear it when I go to rock concerts because I don't mind if somebody spills beer over the jacket...

Where did you find yours and how much did you pay for it?

henrik

New in Town
unfortunately no lucky find in a thriftshop for this one.
i got this off e-bay for £90 a bit pricey i think, but comparing other leathers at the same price, the quality of this jacket is fab and won the day.
it has kept great shape for its years.
when i got it a wasnt sure i had made the right decision buying it..........but now i've worn it a few times it looks great and is starting to mould to my shape

Corky

Practically Family
Does anyone see a resemblance to the Aero barnstormer?

Does anyone see a resemblance to the Aero barnstormer?

Barnstormer(b).JPG

http://www.aeroleatherclothing.com/webapp/aeroleather/servlet/AeroViewPage?page=displayproduct&subcatid=38&prodid=761

cafebmw

New in Town
nice jacket but most likely not police

probably an early 60's jacket, but wasn't used in police service. police jackets that long usually had a slit on the side to give access to the hand gun. otherwise, if the jacket is buttoned up you would have a problem to reach the gun. also, i can't see any stitching holes on the upper arm where the official insignia (crest of the local state resp. 'bundesland') would be attached to.

JanSolo

Practically Family
Cafebmw is right about the side vent and the missing embroidered patch. I totally forgot about it. But I have also seen jackets made by Krawehl which appeared to be made directly for the civilian market using the official "Polizei"-pattern. They can still be purchased from overstock. Some of those old jackets have a kind of "grab through pocket" which gives access to your gun holster.

PuLpO

Familiar Face
its not an German Police Coat !the bottoms are wrong.

Its nearly the same Cut bit same details are different.

No items for fixing Pistol .

This Jackets are Typical for in Germany 1920-1950 they called Kutscherjacke.

You can get this Cut allready made today ot from the 1970 and later.

i had an Collektion of sevral German Police Jacktes / Coats

@ Jan Solo Es gibt mehr als nur einen Hersteller für Polizei Jacken in Deutschland die dienstlich zugelassen sind, jedes Bundesland hat mind 3-4.

Helf mir mal bitte mit Übersetzen der Streifen auf der jacke unter den Knöpfen war für den Polizei Dienst nicht erlaubt.

Die für diese Jahre typische befestigung der Pistole fehlt.

JanSolo

Practically Family
I know that there are and were many different contractors that made jackets for the German police back then. As I already pointed out this particular jacket seems to resemble the original cut but was obviously made for the civilian market. Still a nice looking jacket.

@ pulpo:
Helf mir mal bitte mit Übersetzen der Streifen auf der jacke unter den Knöpfen war für den Polizei Dienst nicht erlaubt.
Helfe ja gerne, aber der Sinn dieses Satzes will sich mir nicht erschließen. Was möchtest du denn genau sagen?

Polizeijacke

hi guys - henrik, nice jacket - i think i can bring a little light into it. my father has been policeman for 35 years and we (my brother and me) got his two leather jackets; one from the 60ies and the other one from the 80ies. i got the "late issue" which came after change of the uniforms to a federal style (green/khaki). before that, each county was allowed to have their own style. okay, so what's the spec? the 80ies saw black leather, slightly trimmed fit, padded front pockets with pounced brass buttons always lead through small metal rings with inner lock, two inner pockets with zipper, buttoned-on knit-over-collar and - what surprise - the lower right pocket provided as slip-through: you can slip the whole holster of the sidegun through the jacket from the inside out. insignia (only one - the county) sewn on the left arm, plus leather loops for the shoulder flaps. light variations possible, but always same style. in the late 90ies when cost management came up - together with stronger influence from the "front" - leather blousons with modern, glowing POLIZEI-sign on the back could be seen in line with green fabric blousons for the BEREITSCHAFTSPOLIZEI (don't know whether there must be an english synonyme).

promise i will post pics this week - have to take them!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy