Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A-1 Jackets in WWII

Xopher

A-List Customer
Could y’all please tell me what you know about the use of A-1 jackets in WW2.

I know they were primarily a between wars piece of kit, but I have heard often that they saw “limited use” during the Second World War, but I haven’t been able to find any more information about the specifics.

Are there any accounts of any old timer fighter pilots or bomber pilots wearing A-1s early in the war?

I have not seen Masters of the Air yet, but I have seen photos of the one character wearing the pre war white B-3 jackets, and I’m not sure what year the show is taking place but I’d imagine ‘43 or so. So the fellow obviously was used an old model early on and was fortunate enough to stay alive a while.

I was wondering if there are any similar cases with A-1s? Any notable figures? Fighter pilots with confirmed kills?

Did I once hear there was an A-1 on the Doolittle Raid, or is that a myth?

Thanks all!

CBI

One Too Many
A-1's Yes, limited service, old timers in ww2. I have seen a few pics but can't find anything here right now. Yes, Bucky Egan got ahold of one of those white B-3's pre-war and held on to it/used it in WW2:

76500AA6-9286-4E4B-90AD-06CF27C64F7B.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner