Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A-2 Choices, Flightsuits vs. Flightjacket.com

kojax

Practically Family
a2 horsehide

my horsehide jacket is breaking in well to..i got it from u.s. mfg funny my jacket does not have that leather smell.....the first one i returned i smell it all night in my room lol.......nice smell.....

SGB

One of the Regulars
kojax said:
my friend wants to buy a cooper a2 jacket. we look on the there website it says the factory is closed....does anybody know if they are going to reopen. thank you kojax.

According to Neil Cooper the closing is only temporary.

SGB

Fatdutchman

Practically Family
Cooper has been absorbed by US Wings. The Cooper jacket (at least it was 10-15 years ago...and likely still is) is cut VERY oversize, and the sleeves are attached in modern suit-jacket manner. I have one in size 44long (technically two sizes too small) and the body of the garment fits me quite well, but I can't raise my arms, since the shoulders are way too broad and the armholes are definitely NOT "high and tight" in the armpit. Someone who actually was a size 44 might be able to maneuver in the jacket, but it would be really oversize on them...but that seems to be the popular thing these days....Ugh.

Since my Wested Indy jacket fell through, I think I'll get me an A2 from US Authentic (flightjacket.com) . Just the plain "medium brown goatskin". A whole lot easier to send a jacket back to New York if it doesn't fit than it is to send one to England!!!;)

kojax

Practically Family
u.s. mfg. makes a nice jacket for the money.....you get your jacket in 2 days very fast service.....forgot the jacket over seas you have to change the money all that pain in the butt......

Fatdutchman

Practically Family
Well, I just called US A/Flightjackets today and ordered a medium brown goatskin A2 in size 48 tall. I believe a jacket should fit like a slightly oversized shirt. By all accounts, the US Authentic jackets are much closer to the body than any other, so that sounds like they're the ones for me. I asked the lady on the phone how the jackets were cut and she told me they were "fitted", which sounded fine with me. She asked me my height and weight and I told her, and she said that the regular length might do for me. Then I told her I had a 37" shirtsleeve length and she said, yeah, you will need the tall size. They didn't have any on hand at the moment, but she said that I should get the jacket within two weeks, and she MIGHT be able to get it done and out to me before Christmas.

Will it fit? Got my fingers crossed.:cool:

kojax

Practically Family
a2 goatskin jacket

what company did you buy your a2 goatskin jacket from.....thank you kojax...........

kojax

Practically Family
a2 jacket

nice company to deal with.......i bought my a2 horsehide off u.s. mfg....i hope you get it before xmass.......usaully you get the jackets in 2 days.......good luck...

Fatdutchman

Practically Family
I probably would have gotten it that quickly, if I didn't need the tall size, which they have to make up for me. Two weeks is still a LOT quicker than two months, waiting for a jacket from England (and then having to send it back!).

kojax

Practically Family
a2 jacket

hello everybody i had my a2 horeshide now 3 months starting to loosing up alittle.......from time to time i put a little loction on i got from wilson leathers nice stuff not tacky drys fast.......

NextStepGuy

Familiar Face
A2 on the way

Hello,

I am getting an Eastman A2 Seal Brown Rough Wear model. It is on its way. I am hoping that the jacket is sized correctly. Does anyone on this forum have experience with Eastman sizes? I've asked about the B3 and wonder if this is similar on the A2. Thanks!

kojax

Practically Family
eastman

hello are these jackets in stock at eastman. what size are you getting. good luck kojax.....i got a 36r horsehide at u.s. mfg. nice jacket the fit is right on.....

NextStepGuy

Familiar Face
Eastman

It seems to be a good time to get an A2 as manufacturers are stocking for the spring season. I got a 44R in Seal Brown and with my height at 6'1" I am hoping this will be the right size. After looking at some of the shots in this forum, it looks like the jacket bottom should be around the hip bones area. Is that right? Is there a good way to know if the length is right when wearing it? Of course when I lift my arms up in the air, the jacket is so still that it raises very high. Same for the sleeves if I wear to ride my back. Should it be that way? Will it become better with time? Will the leather stretch?

donf

New in Town
Historical Horsehide A2

I have a historical horsehide from flightsuits. Everytime i wear it people comment on how nice it is with the color and all. I have had it for four years now and still love it. Its almost broken in, gets better every year.

kojax

Practically Family
a2 jacket

i have a a2 goatskin from flight suites nice jacket......i can say one thing that there leather is really nice......they have a nice product....

bfrench

Familiar Face
NextStepGuy said:
It seems to be a good time to get an A2 as manufacturers are stocking for the spring season. I got a 44R in Seal Brown and with my height at 6'1" I am hoping this will be the right size. After looking at some of the shots in this forum, it looks like the jacket bottom should be around the hip bones area. Is that right? Is there a good way to know if the length is right when wearing it? Of course when I lift my arms up in the air, the jacket is so still that it raises very high. Same for the sleeves if I wear to ride my back. Should it be that way? Will it become better with time? Will the leather stretch?

Hi, NSG,

There doesn't seem to be any set rule for jacket length.

What I have found the works best for me is to have the leather in the torso come to about 1" below the bottom of your belt with the jacket open and your arms down by your side.

So if you wear high waisted pants then you'll want a short jacket. If you're wearing jeans then a longer jacket as most jeans seem to have a lower rise than trousers.

This length of jacket will allow a little reaching forward before rising above the belt.

I'd say the shortest you'd want the jacket would be the leather level with the top of your belt.

Here's a pic.

A-2andJeansComposite.jpg

Bill French

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner