Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A-2 Jacket: A Classic and Tasteful Design?

Edward

Bartender
I've got one of the 'blood chits' that Aero used to sell sewn in the inside of my A2 like a giant pocket, very useful and possibly period correct(?)

I have read that that was done in the CBI theatre. If I was going to have internal pockets added to an A2, I think I'd opt for something replicating the jackets ordered up for the 352nd Fighter Group. Eastman do a version of this:

352nd%20A-2%20mont.jpg

Aether

One of the Regulars
I've not seen that before Edward, but I really like way they've stitched them straight through the exterior, definitely adds a bit of character.

Edward

Bartender
I've not seen that before Edward, but I really like way they've stitched them straight through the exterior, definitely adds a bit of character.

I like it too. Gives it more of a utilitarian air (a bit like when you look inside a patched jacket and see it has been stitched on through the lining - just like back in the day). Also, visuals aside, I should think it also makes the pocket harder wearing than if it was attached to the lining alone. Fairly light lining in an A2. I'd like to see a Kelso A2 with this done - the ELC is lovely, but by this point a lot more than I'd be happy spending on an A2.

Phantomfixer

Practically Family
Edward,
I like the inside pocket but not the stitching on the outside of a 1000.00(+/-) jacket. Maybe during construction they could make the inside pocket smaller, the size of the outside flap pocket and sew the two together. Thus, giving you the strength and utility but not noticable. I know parachute riggers had no problem sewing pockets through leather, as found on the ELC example, but they did not expect the jacket to last longer than the career of the owner.
John

Edward

Bartender
Edward,
I like the inside pocket but not the stitching on the outside of a 1000.00(+/-) jacket. Maybe during construction they could make the inside pocket smaller, the size of the outside flap pocket and sew the two together. Thus, giving you the strength and utility but not noticable. I know parachute riggers had no problem sewing pockets through leather, as found on the ELC example, but they did not expect the jacket to last longer than the career of the owner.
John

Presumably ELC did it this way because that's how it was done back in the day and vintage-accuracy is what they are shooting for in their business model. I know what you're getting at, though, and yes that would be a way round it if you wanted to avoid those lines. I'd personally regard it as a more than acceptable trade off for the size of the interior pockets (I find the existing A2 pockets kinda small.... though I suppose you could make the outside ones bigger to redesign that way). All told, I suspect it's probably a much more labour intensive way of going about it (and in any case something ELC wouldn't offer - no criticism of them, that's just not their business model). It would definitely be interesting to see it done, though.

overlord4215

New in Town
I Purchased my A-2 from flight jackets.com i couldn't rationalize spending 1000+ for an A-2 .I found it to be as accurate a reproduction as i needed and have been wearing it for over 4 years and cant wait to break it it out for this season . After reading this tread I am torn between there A-1 that was mentioned or the heavier ANJ-4 Sheepskin Jacket which comes with hefty price tag . There jackets are made in New York state if this is important to you .

Edward

Bartender
I Purchased my A-2 from flight jackets.com i couldn't rationalize spending 1000+ for an A-2 .I found it to be as accurate a reproduction as i needed and have been wearing it for over 4 years and cant wait to break it it out for this season .

That's the great thing about the A2, something I don't think is matched in any other design: there is pretty much a repro to suit every pocket. I hear you entirely about not being able to justify the very top end prices. I certainly don't want to diss either those who make them or their customers - they are great jackets and I consider it a good thing indeed that there s that level of interest and quality of product. For me and my shallow pocket, something in that style with a good, overall period correct look (as opposed to an accurate repro of one specific contract) being available is a great thing. Good too for kids who are still growing, but want an A2 and whatever. Never seen a Flightjackets A2 in person, but plenty of people in these parts seem very happy with them for the money. I think my next will be a Bill Kelso.

overlord4215

New in Town
I really want an ANJ-4 for the winter its not a particularly popular style most likely because it hasn't been in many mainstream movies like a B-3 or A-2 . If anyone knows of another place to get one let me know please .

Edward

Bartender
I really want an ANJ-4 for the winter its not a particularly popular style most likely because it hasn't been in many mainstream movies like a B-3 or A-2 . If anyone knows of another place to get one let me know please .

you're probably right that it isn't more popular due to the lack of film presence.... which, in turn, is down to the fact of all those movies romanticising WW2, and thus the jackets most commonly worn in and thus associated with that conflict. Same reason it's far easier to find a B3 than a B2...

Regarding the ANJ4, most of the big names in repro do one:

Aero
http://www.aeroleatherclothing.com/product-detail.php?id=72
Eastman
http://www.eastmanleather.com/product_info.php?products_id=177
Lost Worlds
http://www.lostworldsinc.com/ANJ-4_Sheepskin_Leather_Flight_Jacket.htm

I've seen various products (though never this specific model) from all three of those, and would trust any of them to produce a great jacket. Flight Jackets also do one:http://www.flightjacket.com/anj-4-sheepskin-jacket.html. Not seen any of their stuff personally, so I can't comment one way or the other - I'm sure someone here can. The interesting thing is that - unlike, say, an A2, it seems ANJ4s are all in and around the same price whoever they come from. [huh]

The ANJ4 is definitely high on the list of choices if and when I go for another shearling jacket. Having the cuffws covered like that, the pockets, and the extent of horsehide panelling are all distinct advantages to keep it wearable and clean.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
That's the great thing about the A2, something I don't think is matched in any other design: there is pretty much a repro to suit every pocket. I hear you entirely about not being able to justify the very top end prices. I certainly don't want to diss either those who make them or their customers - they are great jackets and I consider it a good thing indeed that there s that level of interest and quality of product. For me and my shallow pocket, something in that style with a good, overall period correct look (as opposed to an accurate repro of one specific contract) being available is a great thing. Good too for kids who are still growing, but want an A2 and whatever. Never seen a Flightjackets A2 in person, but plenty of people in these parts seem very happy with them for the money. I think my next will be a Bill Kelso.

Hit the nail on the head there Edward. Although I think the other most democratic pattern in the leather jacket pantheon is the cafe racer with a greater, more affordable range of cool options.

Last edited:

Highwaymanman

A-List Customer
Just scored an Aero no name 1756 in russet goat from a fellow FL member. Very reasonably priced and by some miracle the fit is dead on. My first A2 and I couldn't be happier with it...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran