Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A-2 Recognition

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
I was faffing around on the net and found this photo of the great and hugely missed Ray Hanna in an A-2. Not being an A-2 expert and being curious I was wondering which of the repros he's kitted out in. I'll leave this to the experts...

Ray%20Hanna.jpg

Good grief the warbird scene is a poorer place without him.

Hawk_Eye

One of the Regulars
Its hard to tell with such a small picture. The colour reminds me of Eastman, but it could just as easily be a US Authentic job...

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Sorry Hawk Eye, it was the biggest image there was. I was wondering whether it was something like a Gibson and Barnes one but like I said, I'm a novice when it comes to A-2s.

H.Johnson

One Too Many
In a series he did some work for on UK TV there is some front-view cockpit footage of him flying a Spitfire wearing what I am reasonably certain is an ELC Roughwear (by the collar and the stamp on the wind baffle). This may be the same jacket - it's hard to tell in a small photograph with the collar raised...the cuffs don't look 'right' somehow.

You're right. The Hanna family made a great contribution to vintage aviation.

rumblefish

One Too Many
Smithy said:
Sorry Hawk Eye, it was the biggest image there was. I was wondering whether it was something like a Gibson and Barnes one but like I said, I'm a novice when it comes to A-2s.
Tim,
I'd say the sleeves are a bit too narrow to be a Gibson & Barnes.

WhiskeyTangoFox

One of the Regulars
The jacket looks like it has a collar stand with the lining that extends out into the windflap. I'm thinking maybe an Eastman Roughwear 27752.

Noel F.

kojax

Practically Family
nice looking jacket . are your waiste knitts long on your jacket.....i looked at some jackets some are 2 1/2 inches and some are 3 inches i guess my friends gibson barnes a-2 is normally i guess.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Beautiful jacket Senicko.

I suppose Ray having an Eastman would make sense. He flew at Duxford and all the other airshows where Eastman usually have a stand.

Jacob Dubow

Familiar Face
I would make a conclusion that it is an ELC Rough Wear.......but a 1401-P rather than a 27752. I own a couple of ELC RW 1401-P's and a couple 27752's.

Some of the ELC 1401-P's are more of a reddish color than the one Mr. Hanna is wearing.....but some aren't. One of mine is a shade of russet that very, very similar to the photo shown in this post.

J.A. Dubow.....

aka Ted

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Thanks Ted.

I found another photo of Ray and his A-2. He's obviously had the Breitling Fighters patch sewn onto the back of it...

DSCF0022aaa.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo