Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A-2s and Other Leather Jackets Worn by Surface Sailors and Submariners

Pulver

New in Town
I scoured previous posts to prevent a duplicate topic. If I failed, my apologies. Motion pictures take a great deal of artistic license when it comes to wardrobe. In motion pictures like THEY WERE EXPENDABLE, CRASH DIVE, TORPEDO RUN, YOU'RE IN THE NAVY NOW, DESTINATION TOKYO and others, there are actors wearing A-2's and other civilian-style leather work jackets. I have seen authentic photographs of war-time Chief Petty Officers wearing civilian-style leather work jackets as well. It is amazingly difficult to find a complete set of US Navy uniform regulations for the 30s and 40s. Does anyone have knowledge of a regulation (or practice) that permitted surface and submarine personnel to wear leather jackets of both military and/or civilian origin? Any information would be useful.

1930artdeco

Practically Family
I got my set of regs from the NAVY. Just email them and tell them what you want. I got a set of uniform regs starting 1922 through wwII. I don't remember seeing anything about leather in subs though. But then again they got away with a lot back then depending where you were based.

Mike

As far as I know, the Navy was always pretty strict when it comes to uniforms and insignia. If you see something in a movie, that's another story. But it's not like it was in the AAF, very loose regulations, or at least loose enforcement of regulations. I'm sure certain things slipped by, but for the most part very by the book in the USN and USMC. Of course there was a lot of things going on with jackets and such during the 30's, lots of trial and error. Pretty common item on Ebay to find Blue Jackets manuals for any point in time during the last century.

Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ayanda