Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A-6 boots.... restorable?

MurderInc.

New in Town
Hiya all, I have a full vintage B-1 shearling suit with A-6 boots, but i am a bit afraid to wear the A-6 boots since the black rubber soles are so hard!

I wouldnt want to crack them, but is there anyone on this foirum who knows if rubber of that age is restorable or even if it is possible to make them soft again?

The b-1 jacket needs a new zipper, which I will replace by a similar vintage zipper... and I am also looking for the best oil to keep the suit in its best condition...

any advise??

best wishes!

MurderInc.

Alan Eardley

One Too Many
Restoring rubber

I have had this problem with rubber parts (e.g. dorr and window seals) on pre-war cars and have sought advice in the past. Basically, thi sis what I was told Rubber is impervious and thereforecan't be softened up by the application of anything, as can leather. Damaged (e.g. cracked) rubber parts can be revulcanised - a good old fashioned tyre (tire) shop may do this for you. There are some substances that can be used to repair rubber. One is called Liquid Rubber (if I remember correctly) and is sold by vintage car restorer suppliers. A new product that I am trying out at the moment is called Shoo Goo. I've just repaired the soles of a pair of vintage Red Wings with it and so far it looks fine, but as yet I can't speak for its durability.

Old rubber freshens up nicely with WD40 and French chalk (talcum powder) preserves it. That's what NOS rubber parts appear to have been packed in.

I have used Pecards Antique Leather Dressing on wartime sheepskin for years with success.

Hope this helps.

Alan

MurderInc.

New in Town
THNX!!!!

I will try to look for that oil...

since eastman also has some oil, but i am not sure of them...

MI

Alan Eardley

One Too Many
Pecards ALD

MI,

Pecards isn't an oil, its more of grease! If you try it, don't over apply it, some people overdo it and find it hard to remove the residue. Just rub it on your hands and then rub the jacket (or whatever) between your hands. It works well for me.

Alan

MurderInc.

New in Town
cream stuff

Ah it may well be like the Rapido leather cream I have, which is petroleum based, very greasy and i used to grease my Roman Caligae with the stuff...

ill try two small spots, one with oil, one with the other stuff....

thanx again, and any others haver any ideas feel free to let me know!

MI

ShanghaiJack

One of the Regulars
Whoa There

WD40 on leather? not recommended I'd say. Kerosene is one of its reported ingredients.... For rubber I have had great results from the product Ballistol.
It also restores leather, however do so with much caution. I successfully treated an early pattern RAF C Type Helmet using Ballistol. Again, use it with caution. The dye method used on the particular leather definately influences whether or not to use it. My helmet is chrome tanned, so it worked well, but aniline or hand applied dye I would test completely before usage. See Ballistol link here:
http://www.ballistol.com/
See my helmet "Stone Collection" here:
http://www.eaglesquadrons.com/coppermine/thumbnails.php?album=18&page=2

Tails Up!
ShanghaiJack

The Wingnut

One Too Many
No such thing as new soles for A-6 boots.

A6_Flying_Boots.jpg

Alan Eardley

One Too Many
Restoring rubber

BT (M)

Yes, as long as you stick to using it on the rubber I think any silicone preparation would have the desired effect - which (remembering the original post) is to clean the foot part of the A-6 boots. Intuitively, I wouldn't want to get WD40 on the leather uppers, although I don't know of any ill effects. I'm sure I must have got spots of silicone on leather when freeing or lubricating zips in the past and I don't think any lasting damage was caused.

Alan

Tim P

New in Town
Whgilst dsplaying at Duxford a few years ago i wore a pair of museum quality a6 boots whch didnt come out of small change. Half a dozen steps and the rubber shattered. great splinters of it. No longer museum quality. I would advise against risking it if they are at all stiff.
I wish someone would repro these.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shiny hats