Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A cheaper alternative to these leather pants?

Lorinz

Familiar Face
@Lorinz - Vanson can be a bit odd like that, yeah. Though in my experience, their pants simply run one size smaller though that too might depend on the year of production, as well. I have no idea what they're right now.

But I'm afraid I know what the guy over at Vanson is talking about and it's something you might not like - The front rise. There's a belt-line and then there's a belt-line. Vanson might have raised the waist, possibly all the way up to your bellybutton and that's not a particularly good look. . .

Give them another call & ask them which model has a regular / mid rise - Though from what I'm reading online, you're in luck as the Woodstock might be it - And take it from there. You know your jeans size. Measure the waist of ones that fit you best & ask Vanson to tell you which size has the same waist width with similar rise.

Thanks, I'll make sure to call them and ask. I notice on the description it mentions the Woodstock having Rayon lining that can be pulled out for handwashing. Is that something that would end up being a pain to deal with or not really? Also out of curiosity, I noticed Vanson pants are more expensive than the ones you linked earlier(the Halvarssons not by too much, the Modeka by a good bit), is there a reason for this(like Vanson being considered a more prestigious company), or they just chose that price?

Also, do you have a link to the thread about the costs of making leather garments? I'm looking for it but can't find it so far, I think it would make for an interesting read.

Last edited:
Thanks, I'll make sure to call them and ask. I notice on the description it mentions the Woodstock having Rayon lining that can be pulled out for handwashing. Is that something that would end up being a pain to deal with or not really?

Washing leather pants is wishful thinking. Sounds convenient but nobody does that.

Also out of curiosity, I noticed Vanson pants are more expensive than the ones you linked earlier(the Halvarssons not by too much, the Modeka by a good bit), is there a reason for this(like Vanson being considered a more prestigious company), or they just chose that price?

Vanson is arguably the best & most famous American motorcycle apparel maker so there's that but considering the Euro to USD conversion, their pants aren't that much pricier. They're in fact cheaper than many Halvarssons' leather trousers.

nattevagten

A-List Customer
Vanson is arguably the best & most famous American motorcycle apparel maker so there's that but considering the Euro to USD conversion, their pants aren't that much pricier. They're in fact cheaper than many Halvarssons' leather trousers.
What's the consensus on nubuck leather pants? Seems like it's a pretty durable material, no?

They seem to be widely available in Germany, e.g.: https://ricano.de/s-l-rt-101-buff-nubuk-geschnuert-schwarz-26

What's the consensus on nubuck leather pants? Seems like it's a pretty durable material, no?

They seem to be widely available in Germany, e.g.: https://ricano.de/s-l-rt-101-buff-nubuk-geschnuert-schwarz-26

Depends on the definition of the term nubuck, which could be either sanded or reversed full/top grain or split leather but it is generally a very good material for leather pants, that's true. I had two pairs that I wore extensively (mostly because I enjoyed the drape of leather but didn't have the courage to deal with the actual leather look) and they were fantastic pants. I'd machine-wash them every two weeks, just like any textile trousers... Can't complain, all in all.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner