Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A cool, classic knife

JEEP

Practically Family
The Puma is imho one of the best knives ever made. I sure wish I had bought one before the prices went skyward.

Regards.

Jakob

yobbos1

New in Town
Anyone looking for a classic style knife on the cheap, very well made, check out Rough Rider. These are Asian made but are reissued American designs that are not seen much anymore. I have bought about six different models to try out the patterns and when I decided which one I liked best, purchased a more expensive Case or custom model. Rough Riders can be had for $20 or less each and are very good knives in their own right.

Atterbury Dodd

One Too Many
yobbos1 said:
I have bought about six different models to try out the patterns and when I decided which one I liked best, purchased a more expensive Case or custom model.

Why not just buy the Case in the first place? (It's a real knife). Asian= nice way of saying made in CHINA.

yobbos1

New in Town
If I want to try a Sunfish pattern (which I have never owned) or a Razor trapper (which I have never owned) I try out a cheaper version to see how I like it. If I like the pattern I then purchase a $200 to $400 version by a custom maker or an older collectable Case. I also do manual labour and don't want to destroy a valuable knife on the jobsite. Don't give me attitude about buying American. I own 30 or so Case knives and I'm not American.

Atterbury Dodd

One Too Many
Ah, I didn't realize you must be Canadian. Attitude aside, who does custom work of the more traditional style? I have been looking for someone that makes some of the extinct styles such as the barehead jack with spear and pen blades.

yobbos1

New in Town
Ken Coats and Ken Erikson are two makers who do excellent work. I have seen the type you describe from each of them. Neither one is from China.

Atterbury Dodd

One Too Many
I have heard of Ken Ericson and been to his site. Very fine work but I guess he isn't taking orders for a bit because he's filled up with orders. I may try him later. I'll have to check out Ken Coats too--haven't heard of him before.

JEEP

Practically Family
I got another custom knife today, a bowie/fighter with whalebone coffin shaped handle and tooled leather sheath:

JJS_Bowie_01.jpg

JJS_Bowie_03.jpg

JJS_Bowie_02.jpg

The blade is 22 cm long and the overall lenght of the knife is 35 cm. It's a rather hefty one.

The knife is made by my good friend Jens Jørgen Schiermer.

Regards.

Jakob

Naphtali

Practically Family
Mycroft said:
When I was in the U.K. I picked up and Opinel Knife (No. 6), they are very simple and great for everything. Here is a good artilce on them: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opinel I highly recomend one, and they are well worth the ten bucks for a piece of history, a classic, and utility.
Here is, in my opinion, the Opinel design done to near perfection in the most useful blade shape and configuration.

1. Glass-filled grip.

2. 3.25-inch clip point with a continuous curve blade for unusually large cutting surface for its length.

3. Flat grind blade .125 inches thick.

4. Steel is called Carbon V®, in reality a variation of AISI 0170-6 steel @ HRC 58-59.
Of course, something this sturdy and useful has been out of production for years.

Chasseur

Call Me a Cab
Did someone mention Opinel?!!!

I love those knives!

Here are my two.
Top: larger hunting belt knife.

Middle: presentation with mirror finish and horn handel.

Bottom: Laguiole, with corkscrew, everyday pocket knife.

361123556.jpg

JEEP

Practically Family
carebear said:
That's a beautiful knife Jeep.

Did he do the sheathe as well?

He did. It is always nice when a cutler is skilled in leatherworking aswell.

My pics. really doesn't do the knife justice, I will try to take some better ones later today.

Regards.

Jakob

The Wolf

Call Me a Cab
here are some of the pocket knives I use and a custom knife.

This is a custom knife made for me with a logo I designed.

I bought two repro Lone Ranger knives.

The top is the Camco 60th anniversary edition. the bottom is the one that Novelty Knife Co. of China makes.
The Camco I carried for years. The Novelty one I've only carried for a couple of months and already the design is almost all rubbed off.:(

Sincerely,
The Wolf

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner