Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A cool, classic knife

Lion

New in Town
J. M. Stovall said:
I use the trusty Kamp-King, in my pocket every day. Got my first when I was a Cub Scout in the 60's. I still have that one but I'm always picking up pristine examples when I can find one. The old ones are good, sturdy knives...they started making really crappy versions of the same knife in the 70's I think. I'm no expert, I just love these knives. Any they look very vintage to me.

KampKing.jpg

Nice knife. I love the camp/scout type knife. The four blade versions, like your Kamp-King, are my favorite, though I do have a six blade Super Kamp-King that I'm fond of. In addition to the spear, awl, can opener and bottle opener/screwdriver blades it has a pen and beverage opener blades. I use the beverage opener blade for opening big cans of V8.

Leo

CaddyKid21

One of the Regulars
I have a swiss army knife from around the 40's, and a United States Navy Camillus Mark I from WWII. Both were my mothers uncles.
Ill post some pictures at some point.

My mom wanted to get rid most of his junk, but I saved the knives. Glad I did, they come in handy. I heard he had loads of guns too....

Taggert

Familiar Face
I have a folding pocket knife i got recently from someone's house (junk clearing)
Its a Sheffield England Rodgers heres a close up of the stamp:
shef1.jpg

I also have a German made Letter opener/shiv...lol:
germlo.jpg

And here they are together, srry the camera went blurry:
PICT0662.jpg

Custom79

One of the Regulars
Kershaw for me

I'm also a fan of the Kershaw Ken Onion Whirlwind. Take it with me whenever I travel.

Had it for years, sharp as he__ and well made.

Regards.

C79

KY Gentleman

One Too Many
The Buck #119 is a classic although not a folding pocket knife.
Bucks' #112 "Ranger" is a nice folding hunter. I read pgoat's post about a Case "Sodbuster", I have an one too and its been on many hikes/camping trips and is a great utility knife as well.

JEEP

Practically Family
For a cool and classic knife one does not need to look any further than the french Lagiole knives:

Laguiole01.jpg

These knives, originally shepherd's knives dating from around 1829, are manufactured in a few factories - common for all of them is a high level of artistic beauty, hand assembly and high material quality.

Laguiole03.jpg

A pic of the knives' beautifully decorated backs. The small insect is a "horse fly" - it is to remind the owner of the hardship endured by the shepherds in the field. The small cross on the handle of the larger one is a common feature, it is to remind the shepherd, who was unable to attend sunday mass, to pray.

This is what I carry on an everyday basis, in my pockets and in my briefcase:

Knive01.jpg

/Jakob

Speedster

Practically Family
Beautiful knives Jakob. I like the Lagiole knives very much and have one on my must-have-someday list. So far i have only reached to the classic Opinel knife.

That's quite an arsenal you carry around there. Watch out for the "visitation zones" ;)

Atterbury Dodd

One Too Many
This is exciting finding this knife thread on the Lounge! I'm surprised I didn't find out about it sooner.

Just curious, are there any other FL-ers that collect vintage pocket knives?
I collect vintage pocket knives from my oldest (1820's-40's), to my newest (1940's).

Sadly, most (I don't say all) of the great classic pocket knife styles and makers, are now extinct.

Here's another guy that still makes some very traditional ones:

http://dahoude.tripod.com/pocketknives.htm

MPicciotto

Practically Family
KY Gentleman said:
Does anyone here recall the "TL-29"? It was (and still is ) a great folding pocket knife.

One of my favourites!! The lineman's knife. I have two or three. Even when I find knock-off versions at yardsales if they are cheap I'll buy them just to keep in the glove box or kitchen junk drawer.

Matt

Wil Tam

Practically Family
300 plus in my collection

Blades ehh? I started collecting blades since I was 10, my dad owned a martial art supply shop on Canal Street in Chinatown NY

Here are a few of my favorites:

IMG_0168.jpg
IMG_0167.jpg
IMG_0187.jpg

A custom handmade fixed blade with a full tang the scales are kevlar, Applegate Fairborn CQ folding dagger, both edges are razor sharp & a Emerson Gerber auto
IMG_0183.jpg
IMG_0178.jpg
IMG_0190.jpg

The Tanto Brothers: Big Bro & Mini Me plus a couple of Italian Stilletos that were converted into auto, which I got in Paris, where I was stranded because of the Chunnel fire so had to stay an extra week before heading back to London, that was in 1996.

These two are rare and unusual:

IMG_0196.jpg
IMG_0195.jpg

IMG_0192.jpg
IMG_0194.jpg

The first 1st is a front ejecting gravity & the 2nd is a paratrooper .. both are German made ... I'm not sure where my Dad picked these up from ... all I remember was there were only a few of them and sold out pretty quickly!

----------------
Now playing: Radiohead - Knives Out
via FoxyTunes

CopperNY

A-List Customer
my 'traditional' lineup. obviously i like the Scandinavians....

the small pattern welded caper was made by my father. handle is ebony and (legal pre-ban) ivory, as well as the fob.

the 'English' jack knife is by Schatt & Morgan. unbelievable quality for price.

my current want list is:

-11" stag traditional Italian switchblade w/ bayonet-style point
-Case damascus peanut

111392840_5dd0077032.jpg

my everyday knife. Dalton Ambi coil fired switchblade:

2204763367_8f14d17a1d.jpg

Classic Knife

Some of the knives the folks posted are great pieces of cutlery,but "Classic" no so much,a Reminton bullet thats a classic,3 blade Case whittler thats classic............

JEEP

Practically Family
Just had to show of my new medieval inspired knife from Claus Bernhardt. Sorry about the poor quality pics. the light is really bad today:

CB_Middelalder_01.jpg

CB_Middelalder_02.jpg

CB_Middelalder_03.jpg

CB_Middelalder_04.jpg

The blade, which is 7,9 cm. long, is made in a simple Scandinavian twisted two-layer damask
The handle, which is 11,5 cm. long, is bog-oak with fossil mammoth ivory
The scabbard, which is left untanned, is made simple and discreet for use on re-enactment fairs

Regards.

Jakob

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner