Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A custom felt hat made by Art Fawcett

Nathan Flowers

Head Bartender
Staff member
A couple of months ago, I received a felt hat from Art. I wanted a nice grey hat to add to my collection, and I wanted it to have a real 30's style to it. It was blocked with that nice teardrop block, and has a dark steel blue ribbon to go with it. The edge is bound as well.

Specs are: 5.5" crown in the front, 5.25" crown on the sides, and 4.5" in the back. Brim is a solid 3" all around, which works well on my large frame.

It's a beautiful medium grey felt, and I'd consider it a middle weight. It's not as thin as the lightweight Optimo, but not as thick as their heavyweight. I haven't mic'd it, but I'd say it's roughly half as thin as an Akubra. I am not sure exactly what the felt content is, so Art would have to answer any questions regarding that. Overall, it is very dense, and feels denser than my lightweight Phantom Blue Optimo (their old felt, not the Nutria/Beaver blend).

I am extremely pleased with it, and have been wanting to post about it for quite some time, but have been awfully busy as of late. I finally got my definitive 30's style teardrop fedora.

Please forgive the "one handed" pictures.
Oh, in other news, a buddy I work with got a black Optimo pork pie. I'm going to try to get pictures of it by next week.

109_0932-vi.jpg

109_0927-vi.jpg

SHARPETOYS

Call Me a Cab
Zohar,
Thats one pretty hat and i love that 30's block. The bound edge looks to me if its all hand sewn. In my opinion and we all know whats thats worth, thats the best looking hat i've seen you in. I guess i know where my next fedora is coming from. :cool2: :) :cool2:

MK

Founder
Staff member
Bartender
It is a mighty fine looking lid. Art did a fine job. The flash from your camera being too close is deceiving. Please have some one shoot one with you wearing it outside. I would love to get a better idea of the color. How many hats do you have now?

Nathan Flowers

Head Bartender
Staff member
Originally posted by MK
It is a mighty fine looking lid. Art did a fine job. The flash from your camera being too close is deceiving. Please have some one shoot one with you wearing it outside. I would love to get a better idea of the color. How many hats do you have now?

Sure, here's a shot of it next to my Phantom Blue Optimo, which I believe you have seen before for color reference. I did have a grey Fed to compare it to, but I gave it to my brother in law. I'd say it's much much lighter than the grey Fed.

109_0935-vi.jpg

My hats in order of acquisition (as best I can remember):

Federation in brown
Optimo Milan straw "Havana"
Optimo Phantom Blue "Indy"
Optimo Tobacco "Indy"
Vintage 1940s Montcristi (that I need to get rid of.. too small for me)
PanamaBob Montecristi, finished by Graham in a "Hollywood" style block
Optimo Natural Nutria "Park Avenue"
Art Fawcett Grey

So that's 8 hats right now, although I don't wear the Fed (because I really don't like it) or the Vintage Montecristi (because it's too small).

Originally posted by Zohar
Sure, here's a shot of it next to my Phantom Blue Optimo, which I believe you have seen before for color reference. I did have a grey Fed to compare it to, but I gave it to my brother in law. I'd say it's much much lighter than the grey Fed.

109_0935-vi.jpg

My hats in order of acquisition (as best I can remember):

Federation in brown
Optimo Milan straw "Havana"
Optimo Phantom Blue "Indy"
Optimo Tobacco "Indy"
Vintage 1940s Montcristi (that I need to get rid of.. too small for me)
PanamaBob Montecristi, finished by Graham in a "Hollywood" style block
Optimo Natural Nutria "Park Avenue"
Art Fawcett Grey

So that's 8 hats right now, although I don't wear the Fed (because I really don't like it) or the Vintage Montecristi (because it's too small).

Very nice selection there and of course your new acquisition is a real peach. I love the bound edge and the color. You may not have fifty hats but the selection is excellent. ;)
I hope you add one particular homburg to that collection for a reasonable price. :D

Regards to all,

J

SHARPETOYS

Call Me a Cab
Zohar wrote

Zohar, a little birdie told me Candadave might come close to fitting in the Fed. Just a thought.:D

Andykev

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Super duper hat

Art did a great job on that hat...and he did one the same for me.

I have your hat's TWIN!! So I don't have to post a pic of it, only add that ART did a great job of hand serwing the bound edge, and finishing the felt. I only wish he was making the hat NOW TODAY instead of this past Winter. You see, Art has a few new tricks up his sleeve. Unfortunately, this hat of mine still looks new, so I can't justify having Art rip it down to do again ....with those new tricks! I'll dirty it up in a season or so.....but ZOHAR your lid is nice, and as you know, my favorites are the light or dove greys.

Nathan Flowers

Head Bartender
Staff member
I couldn't tell you the difference between vintage and new grosgrain. Art will have to answer that.

Art Fawcett

Sponsoring Affiliate
did Art use vintage grosgrain ribbon on your hat?

Yup Roger, I did. Virtually all of my work is done with vintage ribbon. the main exception is black as I use so much of it I can't find vintage fast enough. I will probably always be in search of vintage ribbon as it is the toughest thing to get.

Cheers

rayk

Familiar Face
That is a gorgeous hat!! The photo of the two hats together...the phantom blue Optimo and the grey 1930's-style fedora...demonstrates that you are assembling a collection of impeccable quality and elegance. Congratulations on your new acquisition.

Beautiful and impressive work, Art.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran