Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A CUSTOM SUIT GONE WRONG

Status
Not open for further replies.

daddy-o

One of the Regulars
After various attempts to have my dream suit made by local tailors and after reading all the praise about Indy Magnoli I decided to have a custom suit made by him. I wanted a late 40s early 50s style suit, picked the peaked lapels single breaster with a belt back and the hollywood pants. Send the measurements, described my wish the best I could and waited in anticipation for my hep suit. So today a package from Thailand arrives and hey presto it is the suit. Did not know Indy´s stuff is made in Thailand but I guess cheap labor and all that..... I open it, try it on and what a great dissapointment !!!!
It is like a totally different style with all the wrong measurements, almost like the opposite of what I had hoped for. The pants have a sort of high waist but they are way too tight in the waist, bum and thigh. Almost cant move in them. They have nothing to do with a 40s or 50s look, almost like pants from the mod era or the early 1910´s. The jacket is another story, too short, at the front bottom way too rounded and open, buttons are too high up therefore creating an akward look a bit like a 1920´s jacket. Belt back is too high and the two together look almost comical. Too many things gone bad.I am very sad that it´s gone wrong again. I have written to Indy but I gather he is on holidays, to be fair to him though I will wait for his opinion after he gets back. Yet again I have no suit but 500 bucks down the drain. So I await your opinion on what was supposed to be a late 40´s , early 50´s I am gone daddy- o kinda suit
hepcat56

hepcat56
´

and now the famous hollywod pants
hepcat56

hepcat56

and this is the look I wanted
hepcat56

and this is the pic on the website
hepcat56

daddy-o

One of the Regulars
Like I wrote I have written to Indy but he is on holidays and I will wait for his opinion as well. I merely want an opinion from fellow loungers about the style of the suit.

daddy-o

One of the Regulars
Yeah that would do fine. The bottom front should be straighter and create a sort of a drape. My jacket is rounded and open and the jacket is too short.

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
I think you have a very strong case. Don't know how specific you were in describing to Magnoli the trousers that you wanted, but clearly the jacket you received is quite different from the jacket in the drawing.

Feel free to show Magnoli the photo that I provided above.

Kentucky Blues

A-List Customer
The jacket doesn't look so much short as it does tight, judging by how far down it comes on your arms, though the belt back is definately too high. Who took your measurements, you or someone else? If its yourself, I could easily see you making a mistake. Not to say your not competant in taking measurements, but rather that taking ones own measurements can be rather difficult. And for the record regarding Thailand, I'm pretty sure Magnoli Clothiers goes through mycustomtailor.com, but I'm not certain. That could also mean that perhaps they made a mistake, rather than Magnoli.

Sin Khan

Familiar Face
I too am completely disappointed by what you have brought to light here.

For the 500 dollars that Magnoli charges for a suit and the 80 dollars that he charges for a shirt, I would have expected that he was making the clothing items himself. Instead, it seems that he is contracting out the work to others and is in no way involved in the actual creation of the clothing items that he places his own name on.

Nothing on his web site admits that his clothing line is made overseas in Thailand and that he himself has nothing whatsoever to do with their actual construction.

I jumped to the conclusion (as many of you have from his lack of information) that he himself was a tailor and that he was deeply involved in the construction of the clothing that he sells. Apparently, nothing could be further from the truth.

In my earlier angrier post, I had remarked that he was using sweat shops to create his cloths. I had no basis to make this accusation that is true and I apologize, however, nothing has been presented that contradicts this. If Magnoli will hide that his clothing is made by others in Thailand and not himself, then who is to say what else is also true about who is creating his line of clothing and what condition and training they have in doing so.

Well, let me tell you what my friends. I am learning to make my own clothing myself and if I ever offer a line of goods with my name on it then you can be damn sure that I will be the one who makes it. I will not be a fraud that slaps his name on someone else’s work that he never even sees or has any part of its creation.

Anyone can call up a factory in Thailand and have them create basic clothing items for them. If this is all Magnoli has done, then there is nothing special about his clothing. Anyone who sells supposedly tailor made goods as he does without ever being involved in the process is someone who to me has questionable credibility. Anyone with any integrity at all would have explained to their customers that he was just a store front and not involved in the process of “tailoring” the clothing that is purchased from him.

To me it is pathetic that he markets his clothing to members of this forum without putting forth all the facts about who is making this supposedly “tailor made” goods.

If you think that my thoughts are wrong, then you please explain to the member of this forum who trusted Magnoli and his products because of what you have said about Magnoli on this forum. You talk to him about why he is so upset with his 500 dollar purchase when the other members of this forum spoke so highly of Magnoli and his products.

Magnoli had presented himself on this forum as someone who creates clothing items. However, it is apparent that he in no way creates anything. He presented himself as a “tailor”. He presented himself as someone involved in the creation of his products.

Now you tell me…Do you think that after this that he has nothing to answer for? Do you think that my calling him a fraud was completely off base? I don’t think so.

Feraud

Bartender
Sin Khan said:
I too am completely dissapointed, nay instead I would say that I am outraged by what you have brought to light here. I can't believe that Magnoli has sweat shops in tiland making his line of clothing and then has the nerve and gall to charge 80 dollars for a shirt and 500 dollars for a suit.

Anyone can contract a sweat shop to have them create crap for you, Magnoli is nothing special if this is the case.

Nothing on his web site admits that his clothing line is made overseas. And I thought he was a tailor. I thought that he had knowledgable people who cared make his clothing, but obviously this is not the case. Obviously his clothing is just more of the same overpriced sweat shop cheap crap that you can buy anywhere.

Well let me tell you what my friend. I am learning to make my own clothing myself. If i ever offer a line with my name on it you can be damn sure that I will be the one who makes it. I will not be a fraud that slapps his name on someone elses work that he never even sees.

Why not just get on the phone and call the sweat shop yourself and leave Magnoli out of it completely. I mean, you sent him the money and he never even got involved in the transaction in the least. All he is, is a go between for other peoples work

It's pathetic and I can't believe that this forum would allow him to market his fraudulent line of clothing to other members here.

I suggest you allow Indy Magnoli the chance to offer an explanation of his business practices before you pillory him and casually throw around words like fraud.

Sin Khan

Familiar Face
Do you know for a fact that sweat shop labor isn’t used to create the Magnoli line? How can you be so “damn sure”? Magnoli never admitted on his web site where the clothes are actually made and who makes them. How can you, in good faith, say that you are “sure" of anything regarding Thailand and someone who never admitted that he is in no way involved in producing the goods that bear his name.

Where is it on that site that you listed “my custom tailor.com” does it show who actually makes the items that are so called "tailor made". Does this not raise a red flag to you?

Magnoli is the one who needs to answer for all of this, not me. My accusations are completely founded because of what has happened to this fellow member. A fellow member of this forum trusted Magnoli and paid him 500 dollars for a suit and now that member feels jilted and swindled. He feels lied to and that his trust has been abused.

Why don't you tell him how you "sure" of who made his suit and tell him why it was not what was listed or asked for if a "custom tailor" had supposedly made them. Why don't you tell him how you are "damn sure" of who made his "tailor made" clothing and explain to him how all of this has happened.

Nathan Flowers

Head Bartender
Staff member
Let's give Magnoli a chance to respond before jumping to any conclusions, which are indeed baseless, as an ill fitting suit doesn't necessarily require "sweat shop" labor.

Thread closed until Magnoli is back from vacation. When he has a chance to respond, we can see about opening it up again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot