Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A Dobbs Hat made in Italy?

David N.

New in Town
Hello to all... Does anyone know if Dobbs ever was associated with making a hat
in Italy. It looks like a beautiful straw / poly braid vintage and other than the inside top crown having a Dobbs 5th Avenue Sticker nothing else. The incredibly nice sweat band inside says " * by Giovanni Millano..Made in Italy" . Also the outside leather band has just a "brown button" where the Dobbs logo hat pin would be. I could not find anything else online... Great hat but wondering if someone just stuck a Dobbs Sticker on the top of the inside crown. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

in Italy. It looks like a beautiful straw / poly braid vintage and other than the inside top crown having a Dobbs 5th Avenue Sticker nothing else. The incredibly nice sweat band inside says " * by Giovanni Millano..Made in Italy" . Also the outside leather band has just a "brown button" where the Dobbs logo hat pin would be. I could not find anything else online... Great hat but wondering if someone just stuck a Dobbs Sticker on the top of the inside crown. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Pics would help.

I think many Milan hats were formed in Italy and finished by the manufacturer here in the States, who woul then put their branding on them. I can't prove this, it just seems to me the evidence points that way.

David N.

New in Town
20210904_153835.jpg
20210904_153853.jpg
20210904_154118.jpg
Pics would help.

I think many Milan hats were formed in Italy and finished by the manufacturer here in the States, who woul then put their branding on them. I can't prove this, it just seems to me the evidence points that way.
Thank You very much Frunobulax...my first post and already a response... You've made my day...wahoooo.
I am going to try and post 3 pics as you recommended... 20210904_153835.jpg 20210904_153853.jpg 20210904_154118.jpg
20210904_153835.jpg
20210904_153853.jpg
20210904_154118.jpg
20210904_153835.jpg
20210904_153835.jpg
20210904_153835.jpg
20210904_153853.jpg
20210904_154118.jpg

Frunobulax
Pics would help.

AbbaDatDeHat

I'll Lock Up
1FB4B97D-7287-4E48-A16B-84EDF05F0D07.jpeg
728A982A-FC8E-4A3E-A05C-399E302B712C.jpeg
This rather nice Milan seems so.
B
Ps: it has one heck of a nice sweatband too.

Great hat in a great size!

It’s not uncommon for hat companies to have hats made in other countries. Sometimes it’s a licensing agreement where the hats are intended for the “local” market and having them made in the other country has tax advantages. Sometimes it’s a matter of taking advantage of expertise and infrastructure that another country has. Yeddo boaters from Switzerland or Milan weaves from Italy come to mind. If the hats are finished offshore then they have to be labeled as made in that country. If a hat component(s) are made offshore but the hat is finished in the USA (e.g., many Panama hats) then the hats can be labeled made in the US.

David N.

New in Town
Great hat in a great size!

It’s not uncommon for hat companies to have hats made in other countries. Sometimes it’s a licensing agreement where the hats are intended for the “local” market and having them made in the other country has tax advantages. Sometimes it’s a matter of taking advantage of expertise and infrastructure that another country has. Yeddo boaters from Switzerland or Milan weaves from Italy come to mind. If the hats are finished offshore then they have to be labeled as made in that country. If a hat component(s) are made offshore but the hat is finished in the USA (e.g., many Panama hats) then the hats can be labeled made in the US.
Thank You very much Brent.... for sharing your wonderful knowledge with a newby... Thank again David

There certainly was a Dobbs license in Italy for felt hats. Here's an example.
dobbs_2.jpg
dobbs_7.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points