Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A Fedora Lounge Akubra Hat?

Status
Not open for further replies.

playitagainsam

New in Town
Stoney said:
I agree. A welted edge will hold up better, than a raw edge, and provide a good snap to the brim.

Any opinions on something like Cagney's lid from The Public Enemy?

Cagneyside.jpg
CagneyFront.jpg

Great movie! I loved that lid style and any that Cagney and Bogey wore.
:)

Mr. Rover

One Too Many
In my experience, an over-welted edge just gives the brim an unneeded stiffness that I don't really like...I also don't really like the looks of it. Underwelts work and behave differently than an overwelt, but it's still not my favorite because of the stitching. A cavanagh edge is much cleaner in appearance. I much prefer a raw edge with a soft felt hat...it lets you play with the degree of mysteriousness you wish to exude.

Jerekson

One Too Many
I myself don't much care for welted edges of either style.

I think this dislike is partially owed to hat manufacturers like Dorfman Pacific. They obviously have a liking for the welts, so, now, whenever I see a welted edge I think, "cheap hat".

I know that this is not the case, but regardless, I'm a bit of a nut :p

I don't think I would want a welted edge. I'll go for a raw edge, or a ribbon bind (but I know that some folks don't want that either, so I'll drop it.) Raw edge it is, for me. :eusa_clap

MJL

One of the Regulars
I am interested as long as I can get one made in my size; 7 7/8 I would likely take one if given enough notice to scratch the cash together. Any chance we can have initials punched through the sweat band?

aliados

One of the Regulars

Funny, when I read the frst proposal specs, I was thinking that if it had a wider band, it'd look just like the hats Cagney wore in Public Enemy!
If my vote counts (or even if it doesn't), I'd opt for the raw edge -- and I'll take one in any color EXCEPT black, grey, brown or tan . . .

Charlie

Jerekson

One Too Many
aliados said:

Funny, when I read the frst proposal specs, I was thinking that if it had a wider band, it'd look just like the hats Cagney wore in Public Enemy!
If my vote counts (or even if it doesn't), I'd opt for the raw edge -- and I'll take one in any color EXCEPT black, grey, brown or tan . . .

Charlie

What colors does that leave us? Haha! lol

Mr. Rover

One Too Many
I'd like to see a hat in pearl/dove gray, as it is a color that is usually dirtied when it's vintage. Otherwise, rare colors like midnight blue or forest/moss green would be nice.
I can see why you wouldn't want a gray or brown hat, but these colors are so quintessential and easily matched with most pieces in one's wardrobe that they seem like they would be the best hat to represent the Fedora Lounge.

Of course, if we wanted to be a real gentlemen's club, we could always have Fedora Lounge fezes made....:p

MattJH

One Too Many
After reading through the thread, it's obvious everyone wants their own style and nobody is going to agree entirely. Perhaps the Bartenders can be responsible for coming up with a model? Just a thought.

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Our strength is in our diversity, so this is a non starter.

I think the enthusiasm for this is just GREAT.

But, to be realistic, having a Fedora Lounge branded hat is a non starter. Just look at the hats' threads and you'll see how diverse our tastes are in hats and what each of us feel makes the ultimate hat.

You'd need a hat shop full of hats to satisfy everyone here.

But thinking more of accessories, such as a hat pin, or tie pin..etc, that would be more workable.

At the end of the day, MK is the man you need to convince on this to green light it.

Feraud

Bartender
Nine pages into this thread and there is still not a particular color/style agreed upon.
"Too many chiefs and not enough braves" as the old saying goes. This is a frequent problem with group projects.
The first step is to have Mk's approval. Seeing as he is very busy with Classic Style I would not think this is at the top of the priority list. It is understanable.
That should not stop Lounge members from getting together to create their own hat model.
From personal experience I will suggest this: select one or two good people and let them do the job! Too much interference will lead to a lot of nothing.
Good Luck.
Btw, if you do a hat like this -
PeachPortis9.jpg

Put my name down for two! :)

RedPop4

One Too Many
I guess I see things differently from the group. I DO see a consensus, but not for a single model. Way early in the thread, I saw two models, generally agreed upon.....
a Whippet-like hat
a reproduction of the TFL logo.

For a group this diverse, settling on two is quite an accomplishment.

griffer

Practically Family
I will reiterate my vote for the logo hat. Not as an explicit FL hat. I think a FL pin is more appropriate, but a Lounge Special.

Akubra could move it in other circles as well.

Charcoal/sage, wide ribbon.

All other suggestions are foolish attempts at one-upmanship. j/k ;-)

TaxMan1

One of the Regulars
With this many people interested, someone(s) just need to say "this is it" and those of us that are interested will bite. Those of us that aren't, won't. That's the only way it's gonna get done.

Feraud

Bartender
TaxMan1 said:
With this many people interested, someone(s) just need to say "this is it" and those of us that are interested will bite. Those of us that aren't, won't. That's the only way it's gonna get done.
Right.
COW got a set of challange coins knocked out from scratch. These projects are daunting but certainly do-able.

I am under the impression the ubiquitious hat would be the most popular. There seems to be more of a market for a "classic" styled hat than a sage green, light blue, or pink. Of course I am excluding myself from the project by suggesting this..:)

Stoney

Practically Family
I agree with Redpop4 in that there is more agreement in this thread than disagreement

The reason I posted the graphics of Cagney's hat from The Public Enemy is that it seems to fit what has been basically agreed upon, with the exception of those that mentioned something like an Open Road, as follows.

A) No taper
B) Tall Crown
C) Wide Ribbon

Correct me if that is not the case, I can hear you coming already griffer lol ;
the FL Logo fits that description as well and yes I know Cagney's hat has a bow in the back, but we're talking about the general shape here.

With regard to an Open Road type, those are already available, so why have one made?
http://www.cowboyhatstore.com/stetsonfelt_index/openroad_LBJ_index.htm

What has not been generally agreed upon is...

A) Width of Brim
B) Edge type: Raw, Welted or Ribbon Bound.
C) Colors

With regard to colors I am in agreement with Fletch, I just don't need more brown, black or gray hats. However, Freaud is correct in that there would be more demand for these colors from the public market, which ultimately drives what a vendor can and cannot sell. I think that the design we end up with should have a wide appeal and thus the manufacturer should be able to offer it in a wider variety of colors, hopefully some that will even satisfy Fletch and myself. :p

Mojave Jack suggested a poll some time ago. How about 2 polls? One on the brim width and the other on edge finish to narrow it down.

As far as having MK run with this, He has already pointed out that there will be no official FL hat, but he has no problem with loungers designing a hat for ourselves.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxraff